Before The Fall Was The Turkish Lira Overvalued?
AbstractThis paper examines validity of purchasing power parity to evaluate whether the Turkish Lira was overvalued on the eve of 2001 crises. Univariate and multivariate time series techniques are used to test whether the real exchange rate is mean reverting. Half-life of deviation from purchasing power parity for various definitions is derived. The Johansen cointegration test procedure is applied to bilateral exchange rates using CPI and WPI price indexes. Finally, different measures of misalignments are calculated. Evidence provided that calculated half lives are, in general, short compared to low inflation countries. Further, data supports the long-run relationships among exchange rates, domestic and foreign prices. Calculated misalignments give mixed results on bilateral exchange rates based on CPI and WPI. While WPI based bilateral real exchange rate gives under valuation, the CPI based bilateral real exchange rate and trade weighted real exchange rates based on WPI reveals that TL was overvalued before the eve of 2001 crises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 0220.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2002
Date of revision: Jul 2002
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Levent KORAP, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Determination Of Tl/Us$:A Co-Integration Approach,"
Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal,
Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 7(1), pages 24-50, May.
- Levent, Korap, 2008. "Exchange rate determination of TL/US$: a co-integration approach," MPRA Paper 19659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Modeling purchasing power parity using co-integration: evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 19584, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alper, Ahmet Murat & Civcir, İrfan, 2012. "Can overvaluation prelude to crisis and harm growth in Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-131.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey,"
CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011. "Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yucel, Eray, 2011. "A Review and Bibliography of Early Warning Models," MPRA Paper 32893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Information content of exchange rate volatility: Turkish experience," MPRA Paper 19598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Analyzing CBRT's FOREX interventions using EGARCH (2001-2006)," MPRA Paper 20634, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu & Bengi Kibritcioglu, 2004. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in Turkey, 1987-2003 (in Turkish)," Macroeconomics 0403006, EconWPA, revised 09 Mar 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.