Real exchange rate behaviour in high inflation countries: empirical evidence from Turkey, 1980-1997
AbstractThe long-run purchasing power parity (PPP) hypothesis is re-examined using data for Turkey and its major trading partners during the period 1980-97, extending recent work by Telatar and Kazdagli. The empirical analysis suggests that, while conventional unit root tests do not enable the detection of mean reversion in real exchange rates and hence imply rejection of long-run PPP over the sample, using recently developed nonlinear modelling techniques, strong support is provided for the validity of long-run PPP as well as for theoretical models which predict nonlinear adjustment in real exchange rates. Results are in accord with previous evidence that PPP holds more closely on data for countries which have experienced unusually high inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Chee-Keong Choong & Evan Lau & Kian-Ping Lim, 2005. "Exchange Rate – Relative Price Nonlinear Cointegration Relationship in Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(11), pages 1-16.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Lee, Hock-Ann & Lim, Kian-Ping & Lee, Huay-Huay, 2006.
"Linearity and stationarity of South Asian real exchange rates,"
517, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Hock-Ann Lee & Kian-Ping Lim & Huay-Huay Lee, 2008. "Linearity and Stationarity of South Asian Real Exchange Rates," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(5), pages 48-58, September.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu & Bengi Kibritcioglu, 2004. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in Turkey, 1987-2003 (in Turkish)," Macroeconomics 0403006, EconWPA, revised 09 Mar 2004.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey,"
CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011. "Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2005:i:11:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.