Before the Fall, Was the Turkish Lira Overvalued?
AbstractThis article examines the validity of purchasing power parity in evaluating whether the Turkish lira was overvalued on the eve of the 2001 crises. Univariate and multivariate time series techniques are used to test whether the real exchange rate is mean reverting. Half-life of deviation from purchasing power parity for various definitions is derived. The Johansen cointegration test is applied to bilateral exchange rates using the consumer price index (CPI) and the wholesale price index (WPI). Finally, various measures of misalignments are calculated, and evidence is provided that calculated half-lives are, in general, short compared to low inflation countries. Furthermore, the data support long-run relationships among exchange rates, domestic prices, and foreign prices. Calculated misalignments give mixed results on bilateral exchange rates based on CPI and WPI. While the WPI-based bilateral real exchange rate gives undervaluation, the CPI-based bilateral real exchange rate and trade-weighted real exchange rates based on WPI reveal that Turkish lira was overvalued before the eve of 2001 crises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Eastern European Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=106044
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Levent KORAP, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Determination Of Tl/Us$:A Co-Integration Approach,"
Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal,
Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 7(1), pages 24-50, May.
- Levent, Korap, 2008. "Exchange rate determination of TL/US$: a co-integration approach," MPRA Paper 19659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Modeling purchasing power parity using co-integration: evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 19584, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yucel, Eray, 2011. "A Review and Bibliography of Early Warning Models," MPRA Paper 32893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Information content of exchange rate volatility: Turkish experience," MPRA Paper 19598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Analyzing CBRT's FOREX interventions using EGARCH (2001-2006)," MPRA Paper 20634, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu & Bengi Kibritcioglu, 2004. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in Turkey, 1987-2003 (in Turkish)," Macroeconomics 0403006, EconWPA, revised 09 Mar 2004.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011.
"Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey,"
46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012. "Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Alper, Ahmet Murat & Civcir, İrfan, 2012. "Can overvaluation prelude to crisis and harm growth in Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-131.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.