Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey
AbstractThe paper examines misalignment of the Turkish lira between 1998 to 2008. Misalignment, specifically overvaluation has been linked to fixed exchange rate regimes. By studying the case of Turkey during this period which covers both a fixed and floating exchange rate regime, we contribute to the literature on the relation between misalignment and exchange rate regimes. We first estimate the equilibrium real exchange rate for Turkey, then compute misalignment and finally test for structural breaks in the misalignment series. Through our tests we find three structural regimes which we call the pre-crisis period, the transition period and the post-crisis period. We find considerable overvaluation in first regime, which is when Turkey had a fixed exchange rate regime. This was not the case for the periods that had floating exchange rates. Thus, we conclude that overvalued currencies that have been linked to financial crises are a more serious concern for fixed exchange rate regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 46774.
Date of creation: 07 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economie Internationale 130.2012(2012): pp. 81-98
Cointegration; equilibrium real exchange rate; misalignment; structural breaks; Turkey;
Other versions of this item:
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012. "Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Paiva, 2006. "External Adjustment and Equilibrium Exchange Rate in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 06/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean-Francois Hoarau & Ibrahim Ahamada & Alain Nurbel, 2007. "Multiple structural regimes in real exchange rate misalignment: the case of Australian dollar," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 101-104.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. ValdŽs, 1999. "The Aftermath Of Appreciations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 229-262, February.
- Alper, C. Emre & Saglam, Ismail, 1999. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate: Evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 1924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Evan & Fountas, Stilianos, 2003.
"On the sustainability of current account deficits: evidence from four ASEAN countries,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 465-487, June.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Evan Lau, 2002. "On the Sustainability of Current Account Deficits: Evidence from Four ASEAN Countries," Working Papers 0062, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- J. Jouini & M. Boutahar, 2003. "Structural breaks in the U.S. inflation process: a further investigation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(15), pages 985-988.
- Irfan Civcir, 2003.
"Before the Fall, Was the Turkish Lira Overvalued?,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(2), pages 69-99, March.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2009.
"Currency Misalignments and Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging and Developing Countries,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 121-136, 02.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2008. "Currency Misalignments and Exchange Rate Regimes in Emerging and Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008-07, CEPII research center.
- Deniz Atasoy & Sweta C. Saxena, 2006.
"Misaligned? Overvalued?. The Untold Story of the Turkish Lira,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(3), pages 29-45, May.
- Deniz Atasoy & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005. "Misaligned? Overvalued? The Untold Story of the Turkish Lira," International Finance 0508002, EconWPA.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Analyzing the Present Sustainability of Turkey’s Current Account Position," Working Papers 0803, Izmir University of Economics.
- J. H. Eita & Moses M. Sichei, 2006. "Estimating the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for Namibia," Working Papers 200608, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Igal Magendzo, 2009. "Do Exchange Rate Regimes Matter For Inflation And Exchange Rate Dynamics? The Case Of Central America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 517, Central Bank of Chile.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006.
"Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elena Loukoianova & Plamen Iossifov, 2007. "Estimation of a Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate Model for Ghana," IMF Working Papers 07/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Lucio Sarno, 2000. "Real exchange rate behaviour in high inflation countries: empirical evidence from Turkey, 1980-1997," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 285-291.
- Alper, Ahmet Murat & Civcir, İrfan, 2012. "Can overvaluation prelude to crisis and harm growth in Turkey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 112-131.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.