Estimating the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for Namibia
AbstractThis paper estimates the equilibrium real exchange rate and the resulting real exchange rate misalignment in Namibia during the period 1970 to 2004. The equilibrium real exchange rate is determined by trade and exchange restrictions (openness), terms of trade and ratio of investment to GDP. An increase in openness and ratio of investment to GDP cause the real exchange rate to appreciate. The real exchange rate was overvalued for almost the entire estimation period. It reached its equilibrium value in 1998. It is important to monitor the real exchange rate, and ensure that the divergence from the equilibrium value is minimised.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200608.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
equilibrium real exchange rate; misalignment; cointegrating vector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ken Miyajima, 2007. "What Do We Know About Namibia's Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 07/191, International Monetary Fund.
- World Bank, 2008. "Republic of Namibia - Addressing Binding Constraints to Stimulate Broad Based Growth : A Country Economic Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12601, The World Bank.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey,"
CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011. "Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.