Analyzing the Present Sustainability of Turkey’s Current Account Position
AbstractIn this paper we assess the present sustainability of Turkey’s current account position using the framework provided by Milesi-Ferretti and Razin (1996) based on the ability-to-pay and willingness-to-lend model. This framework allows us to assess the structural features and macroeconomic policy indicators. We extend this framework by considering global sustainability indicators as well. Using data for three periods, 1991-1993, 1998-2000 and 2004-2006 we evaluate the present sustainability in light of the prior two crises (1994, 2001). Based on our analysis of these factors in the extended framework, we conclude that Turkey’s internal structure and macroeconomic conditions (such as exports and the fiscal position) have improved that are allowing Turkey to continue having large and increasing current account deficits. However, there is vulnerability from global factors namely the impending U.S. recession and a potential global slowdown. This might require some adjustments in policy to continue accumulating large deficits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Izmir University of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0803.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Current account sustainability; predictors of crisis; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-03-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2008-03-15 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-OPM-2008-03-15 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferrett & Assaf Razin, 1996. "Sustainability of Persistent Current Account Deficits," NBER Working Papers 5467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996.
"Currency crashes in emerging markets: An empirical treatment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 351-366, November.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "Currency crashes in emerging markets: an empirical treatment," International Finance Discussion Papers 534, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001.
"Currency crises and monetary policy in an economy with credit constraints,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1121-1150.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Working Papers 00.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Bacchetta, Philippe & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Scholarly Articles 4554218, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2529, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "On the optimality and sustainability of Turkey’s current account," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 543-568, November.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P. & Garber, Peter M., 1984. "Collapsing exchange-rate regimes : Some linear examples," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 1-13, August.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey,"
CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011. "Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nkuna, Onelie, 2013. "Sustainability of the Malawian Current Account Deficit: Application of Structural and Solvency Approaches," MPRA Paper 51919, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2009. "Elasticities of Turkish Exports and Imports," Working Papers 0906, Izmir University of Economics.
- Ayla Oğuş Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Intertemporal Solvency of Turkey’s Current Account,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Intertemporal solvency of Turkey’s current account," Working Papers 0805, Izmir University of Economics.
- Richard J. Hunter Jr. & Mehmet Kilic, 2013. "The Effects of the European Debt Crisis on the Economic Future of Turkey. A Country Study," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 195-209, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ayla Ogus Binatli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.