Analyzing the Present Sustainability of Turkey’s Current Account Position
AbstractIn this paper we assess the present sustainability of Turkey’s current account position using the framework provided by Milesi-Ferretti and Razin (1996) based on the ability-to-pay and willingness-to-lend model. This framework allows us to assess the structural features and macroeconomic policy indicators. We extend this framework by considering global sustainability indicators as well. Using data for three periods, 1991-1993, 1998-2000 and 2004-2006 we evaluate the present sustainability in light of the prior two crises (1994, 2001). Based on our analysis of these factors in the extended framework, we conclude that Turkey’s internal structure and macroeconomic conditions (such as exports and the fiscal position) have improved that are allowing Turkey to continue having large and increasing current account deficits. However, there is vulnerability from global factors namely the impending U.S. recession and a potential global slowdown. This might require some adjustments in policy to continue accumulating large deficits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Izmir University of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0803.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Current account sustainability; predictors of crisis; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-03-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-OPM-2008-03-15 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ayla Oğuş Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012.
"Intertemporal Solvency of Turkey’s Current Account,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Ayla Ogus & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2008. "Intertemporal solvency of Turkey’s current account," Working Papers 0805, Izmir University of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ayla Ogus Binatli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.