Assessing Gender Inequality among Italian Regions: The Italian Gender Gap Index
AbstractThis paper aims at exploring and evaluating the geographic distribution of gender inequality across Italian regions. The aim of the analysis is two-fold. First we build a composite indicator of gender inequality at the regional level for Italy by applying the methodology developed by the World Economic Forum for the Global Gender Gap Index. Second, we compute the Italian Gender Gap Index for each region in order to measure the within-country heterogeneity that characterizes Italy. We complete the analysis by presenting the correlation between the Italian Gender Gap Index and relevant socio-economic variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics in its series Center for Economic Research (RECent) with number 085.
Length: pages 34
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Italian Gender Gap Index; Italian regions; socio-economic gender inequality;
Other versions of this item:
- Monica Bozzano, 2012. "Assessing Gender Inequality among Italian Regions: The Italian Gender Gap Index," Quaderni di Dipartimento 174, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto & Giuliano, Paola, 2007.
"The Power of the Family,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2750, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2000. "Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1211-1230, July.
- Costantini, Valeria & Monni, Salvatore, 2009. "Gender disparities in the Italian regions from a human development perspective," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 256-269, March.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Daniela Del Boca, 2007. "Living arrangements in Europe: exploring gender differences and institutional characteristics," CHILD Working Papers wp24_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Pamela Campa & Alessandra Casarico & Paola Profeta, 2011.
"Gender Culture and Gender Gap in Employment,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 57(1), pages 156-182, March.
- Paola Giuliano, 2005.
"Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?,"
2005 Meeting Papers
189, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paola Giuliano, 2007. "Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(5), pages 927-952, 09.
- Giuliano, Paola, 2006. "Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 2042, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Sugarman & Murray Straus, 1988. "Indicators of gender equality for American states and regions," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 229-270, June.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Bozzano, Monica, 2013.
"Women, Medieval Commerce, and the Education Gender Gap,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9359, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Bozzano, Monica, 2013. "Women, Medieval Commerce, and the Education Gender Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 7224, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Graziella Bertocchi & Monica Bozzano, 2012. "Women, Medieval Commerce, and the Education Gender Gap," CHILD Working Papers Series 10, Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic Economics (CHILD) - CCA.
- Graziella Bertocchi & Monica Bozzano, 2013. "Women, Medieval Commerce, and the Education Gender Gap," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 088, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Graziella Bertocchi & Monica Bozzano, 2013. "Family Structure and the Education Gender Gap: Evidence from Italian Provinces," CESifo Working Paper Series 4460, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.