Tests of Inference for Dummy Variables in Regressions with Logarithmic Transformed Dependent Variables
AbstractThe interpretation of dummy variables in regressions where the dependent variable is subject to a log transformation has been of continuing interest in economics. However, in the main, these earlier papers do not deal with the inferential aspects of the parameters estimated. In this paper we compare the inference implied by the hypotheses tested on the linear parameter estimated in the model and the tests applied to the proportional change that this parameter implies. An important element in this analysis is the asymmetry introduced by the log transformation. Suggestions are made for the appropriate test procedure in this case. Examples are presented from some common econometric applications of this model in the estimation of hedonic price models and wage equations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 852.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 5th Floor, Economics and Commerce Building, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5289
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Hypothesis tests; lognormal distribution; measures of proportional change; wage equation; hedonic price model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeff Borland & Joseph Hirschberg & Jenny Lye, 2004.
"Computer knowledge and earnings: evidence for Australia,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1979-1993.
- Borland, J & Hirschberg, J & Lye, J, 1997. "Computer Knowledge and Earnings : Evidence for Australia," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 571, The University of Melbourne.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Bartik, Timothy J. & Smith, V. Kerry, 1987.
"Urban amenities and public policy,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 31, pages 1207-1254
- Timothy J. Bartik & V. Kerry Smith, 1996. "Urban Amenities and Public Policy," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers, in: V. Kerry Smith (ed.), Estimating Economic Values for Nature: Methods for Non-Market Valuation, pages 271-318 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Hayes, K.J. & Hirschberg, J. & Lye, J. & Taylor, L.L., 1999. "Multivariate Generated Regressors and Heteroskedasticity in a Cross-Section: an Application to the Value of Neighborhood Schools," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 692, The University of Melbourne.
- Giles, David E. A., 1982. "The interpretation of dummy variables in semilogarithmic equations : Unbiased estimation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 77-79.
- Hirschberg, J. & Lye, J.N., 1999. "Wages and Alcohol Consumption, Smoking, Weight Gain and Exercising: Evidence on Australian Men and Women," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 684, The University of Melbourne.
- Patrick Georges & Aylin Seçkin, 2012. "Auction Prices of Classical Music Manuscripts – A Hedonic Approach," Working Papers 1202E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marisa Cerantola).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.