Economic performance and international trade engagement: the case of Portuguese manufacturing firms
AbstractBy combining economic and financial data for Portuguese manufacturing firms with data on their exports and imports, we uncover some aspects of the relationship between international trade engagement and firms’ performance. In line with recent theoretical and empirical developments in the international trade literature: (i) we testify that Portuguese international trade is highly concentrated, especially on the import side, and both in inter- and intra-sector terms; (ii) we corroborate previous studies and theses according to which two-way traders outperform only importers, only exporters and above all domestic firms; (iii) we find that the greater the diversification of markets and goods (especially with regard to imports), the better the performance achieved by internationalised firms; (iv) we notice that the higher the intensity of international trade of firms (especially imports), the better the performance of firms; (v) we also present evidence that destination markets, for exports, and, origin markets, for imports, are also important in explaining firm performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação in its series GEE Papers with number 0037.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision: May 2011
International trade; Firm performance; Diversification;
Other versions of this item:
- Armando Silva & Óscar Afonso & Ana Paula Africano, 2010. "Economic performance and international trade engagement: the case of Portuguese manufacturing firms," FEP Working Papers 369, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-06-11 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2011-06-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2011-06-11 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, .
"Imports and exports at the level of the firm: Evidence from Belgium,"
07/28, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Mirabelle Mu�ls & Mauro Pisu, 2009. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5), pages 692-734, 05.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium," CEP Discussion Papers dp0801, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm : Evidence from Belgium," Working Paper Research 114, National Bank of Belgium.
- Gábor Békés & Péter Harasztosi & Balázs Muraközy, 2009.
"Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary,"
CeFiG Working Papers
9, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 12 Oct 2009.
- Gabor Bekes & Peter Harasztosi & Balazs Murakozy, 2009. "Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0919, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2012. "The influence of financial leverage of firms on their international trading activities," MPRA Paper 35765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "Trading many goods with many countries: Exporters and importers from German manufacturing industries," Working Paper Series in Economics 243, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Armando Silva & Óscar Afonso & Ana Paula Africano, 2010. "Do Portuguese manufacturing firms self select to exports?," FEP Working Papers 371, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Pinheiro Alves).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.