The Rise in Danish Unemployment: Reallocation or Mismatch?
AbstractTwo key relations in theoretical work on labor market flows are analyzed; the hiring function and the uv-curve. The relations are identified in a cointegrated VAR-model framework. The system comprising unemployment, vacancies and hirings is driven by a stochastic trend in the vacancies, corresponding to the status of vacancies as the driving force in models of labor market flows. The drift in the relations is modeled by smooth transition functions and is identified as increased mismatch problems in the Danish labor market as opposed to increased structural change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 99-15.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
hiring function; UV-curve; cointegrated VAR-Model; smooth transition functions; mismatch;
Other versions of this item:
- Karsten Albæk & Henrik Hansen, 2004. "The Rise in Danish Unemployment: Reallocation or Mismatch?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(4), pages 515-536, 09.
- Karsten Albæk & Henrik Hansen, . "The Rise in Danish Unemployment: Reallocation or Mismatch?," CAM Working Papers 2004-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006.
"Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment,"
Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT)
383, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006. "Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment," ERSA conference papers ersa06p416, European Regional Science Association.
- Heidi Soininen, 2007. "Finnish Evidence of Changes in Labor Market Matching," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 57-71, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.