Testing the Nominal-to-Real Transformation
AbstractNominal-to-real data transformations are routinely used in empirical work. A common example is the transformation of nominal money and prices to real money and the rate of inflation. This paper establishes the necessary and sufficient condition for a transformation to reduce the order of integration of an I(2) vector process while retaining the cointegrating relations among the variables. A particular direction in which the condition potentially fails is often treated by assumption in applied work. In this case, the transformed process satisfies a well-specified vector equilibrium model, yet I(1) inference and interpretation based on the real transformed system is invalidated. An easy-to-implement sequential test of the transformation based on I(1) cointegration methods is suggested. It demonstrates good size and power properties in a small-scale simulation experiment. An empirical example illustrates the need to test the nominal-to-real transformation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 02-06.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
cointegration; stochastic trend; I(2); price homogeneity; Monto Carlo experiment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Igor Masten & Bostjan Jazbec & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2004. "Linfluence du régime de change sur linflation dans les pays adhérents," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 163(2), pages 51-61.
- Omtzigt, Pieter & Paruolo, Paolo, 2005.
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 31-68, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.