Analyzing I(2) Systems by Transformed Vector Autoregressions
AbstractWe characterize the restrictions imposed by the minimal I(2)-to-I(1) transformation that underlies much applied work, e.g. on money demand relationships or open-economy pricing relationships. The relationship between the parameters of the original I(2) vector autoregression, including the coefficients of polynomially cointegrating relationships, and the transformed I(1) model is characterized. We discuss estimation of the transformed model subject to restrictions as well as the more commonly used approach of unrestricted reduced rank regression. Only a minor loss of efficiency is incurred by ignoring the restrictions in the empirical example and a simulation study. A properly transformed vector autoregression thus provides a practical and effective means for inference on the parameters of the I(2) model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 02-20.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
cointegration; stochastic trend; price homogeneity; nominal; real; Monte Carlo experiment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-12-18 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-12-17 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2005. "Testing the nominal-to-real transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 205-225, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.