A measure of core inflation in the UK
AbstractWe develop a measure of core inflation in the UK over the period January 1987 - December 1998, following the work of Bryan, Cecchetti, Wiggins and Roger. Disaggregation is into 85 price categories. Given the high kurtosis of the price change distribution over this period, a trimmed mean is a more robust estimator of core inflation than other published measures such as the RPIX widely used in the UK, in particular by the Bank of England when targeting inflation. We discuss the relative advantages of our measure of core inflation, with emphasis on the determination of an optimal trimming point and on the analysis of the products whose price changes are excluded from our measure in each time period. The resulting measure appears well behaved, but differs noticeably from a number of published measures. Working paper: accepted subject to revision
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton in its series Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics with number 0708.
Date of creation: 18 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1997. "Inflation Measures for Monetary Policy: Measuring the Underlying Inflation Trend and Its Implication for Monetary Policy Implementation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(2), pages 1-26, December.
- Quah, Danny & Vahey, Shaun P, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1130-44, September.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," Bank of England working papers 31, Bank of England.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Quah and Vahey core inflation estimation," Statistical Software Components RTZ00139, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993.
"Relative-price changes as aggregate supply shocks,"
93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992. "Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, G.H., 1992. "Relative-Price Change as Aggregate Supply Shocks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1609, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jurgen A. Doornik, 1998.
"Approximations To The Asymptotic Distributions Of Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Doornik, Jurgen A, 1998. " Approximations to the Asymptotic Distributions of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-93, December.
- HENRY, David F. & RICHARD, Jean-François, .
"On the formulation of empirical models in dynamic econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-502, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hendry, David F. & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1982. "On the formulation of empirical models in dynamic econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-33, October.
- Bent Nielsen & Soren Johansen and Rocco Mosconi, 2000.
"Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2000-W22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Søren Johansen & Rocco Mosconi & Bent Nielsen, 2000. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of structural breaks in the deterministic trend," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 216-249.
- Bent Nielsen, 2000. "Cointegration Analysis in the Presence of Structural Breaks in the Deterministic Trend," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1494, Econometric Society.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins II, 1997.
"Efficient Inflation Estimation,"
NBER Working Papers
6183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999.
"Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues,"
Working Paper Series
0005, European Central Bank.
- Mark A. Wynne, 2008. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 205-228.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Papers 9903, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Haldane, Andrew G, 1998. "On Inflation Targeting in the United Kingdom," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(1), pages 1-32, February.
- Pedro Duarte Neves & Luís Morais Sarmento & Carlos Robalo Marques, 1999.
"Evaluating core inflation indicators,"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.