Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Acceding Countries: The Role of Exchange Rate Regimes
AbstractThis paper analyzes the link between the choice of exchange rate regime and inflationary performance in countries acceding to the EU. Estimation of pass-through effect of exchange rate changes to CPI inflation is complemented by I(2) cointegration analysis of stochastic nominal trends. The results allow a clear ranking of countries according to the size of the pass-through effect and the importance of exchange rate shocks to overall inflationary performance. The size of the pass-through effect can be associated with the degree of accommodation in the exchange rate policy. The paper concludes that an accommodative exchange rate policy is one of the main sources of inflationary pressures in accession countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2004/16.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lipinska, Anna, 2008. "The Maastricht Convergence Criteria and Monetary Regimes for the EMU Accession Countries," MPRA Paper 16375, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anna Lipinska, 2006. "Monetary regime choice in the accession countries - a theoretical analysis," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 243, Society for Computational Economics.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y:2006:i:1:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Victoria V. Dobrynskaya, 2008. "The Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy of the Central Bank of Russia under Asymmetrical Price Rigidity," Journal of Innovation Economics, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 29-62.
- Balazs Egert & Ronald MacDonald, 2006.
"Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Transition Economies: Surveying the Surveyable,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1739, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Transition Economies: Surveying the Surveyable," MNB Working Papers 2006/5, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Luis Alejandro Lee P & Angélica María Quiroga E., 2010. "Descomposición histórica de choques del tipo de cambio real en Colombia: un enfoque DSGE," VNIVERSITAS ECONÃMICA 008294, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Hammermann, Felix & Schweickert, Rainer & Vinhas de Souza, Lúcio, 2004. "European monetary integration after EU enlargement," Kiel Discussion Papers 413, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Égert, Balázs & MacDonald, Ronald & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2006. "Monetary Transmission in Central and Eastern Europe: Gliding on a Wind of Change," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan & Masten, Igor, 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through in EMU acceding countries: Empirical analysis and policy implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1375-1391, May.
- Tomás Slacík, 2008. "(How) Will the Euro Affect Inflation in the Czech Republic? A contribution to the current debate," FIW Working Paper series 018, FIW.
- Jimborean, Ramona, 2013.
"The exchange rate pass-through in the new EU member states,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 302-329.
- Jimborean, R., 2011. "The Exchange Rate Pass-Through in the New EU Member States," Working papers 341, Banque de France.
- Nikoloz Gigineishvili, 2011. "Determinants of Interest Rate Pass-Through: Do Macroeconomic Conditions and Financial Market Structure Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/176, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Balázs Égert & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Central & Eastern Europe: Gliding on a Wind of Change," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp850, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mathias Hoffmann & Oliver Holtemˆller, 2010.
"Transmission of Nominal Exchange Rate Changes to Export Prices and Trade Flows and Implications for Exchange Rate Policy,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 112(1), pages 127-161, 03.
- Hoffmann, Mathias & Holtemöller, Oliver, 2009. "Transmission of nominal exchange rate changes to export prices and trade flows and implications for exchange rate policy," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,21, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Besnik Fetai, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Transition Economies: The Case of Republic of Macedonia," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 309-324, November.
- Besnik Fetai, 2011. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Transition Economies: The Case of the Republic of Macedonia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1014, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Athanasios Papadopoulos & Andreas Yannopoulos, 2013. "Linkages between the Eurozone and the South-Eastern European Countries: A VECMX* Analysis," Working Papers 1302, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Athanasios Papadopoulos & Andreas Yannopoulos, 2013. "Transmission Effects in the Presence of Structural Breaks: Evidence from South-Eastern European Countries," Working Papers 1303, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.