Competing Auction Houses
AbstractWe consider a model where sellers make repeated attempts to sell an object via two competing auction houses. An auction house that attracts a seller runs a Vickrey auction among a random sample of buyers and collects two fees: a listing fee and, if the object is sold, a closing fee. We characterize equilibria and show that two equilibrium outcomes are possible: a (contestable) monopoly, and a market segmentation between the two competitors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kyiv School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 17.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision: Mar 2010
Note: Under review in Games and Economic Behavior
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 13 Yakira Str, 04119 Kyiv
Web page: http://www.kse.org.ua/
More information through EDIRC
Competing auctions; mediator; listing fee; closing fee;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-06-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CTA-2009-06-03 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2009-06-03 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2009-06-03 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Pagnozzi, 2004.
"Bidding to Lose? Auctions with Resale,"
CSEF Working Papers
116, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Nov 2006.
- Philip A. Haile, 2001.
"Auctions with Resale Markets: An Application to U.S. Forest Service Timber Sales,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 399-427, June.
- Gupta, Madhurima & Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First price auctions with resale," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-185, August.
- Horstmann, I.J. & LaCasse, C., 1995.
"Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Re-Sale Option,"
9507e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & LaCasse, Chantale, 1997. "Secret Reserve Prices in a Bidding Model with a Resale Option," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 663-84, September.
- Subir Bose & George Deltas, 2007. "Exclusive Versus Non-exclusive Dealing in Auctions with Resale," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Haile, Philip A., 2003. "Auctions with private uncertainty and resale opportunities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 72-110, January.
- McAfee, R. Preston & Vincent, Daniel, 1997.
"Sequentially Optimal Auctions,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 246-276, February.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Tröger, 2006.
"Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 753-769, 05.
- Garratt, Rod & Tröger, Thomas, 2005. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 42, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Rod Garrat & Thomas Tröger, 2005. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse10_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Rod Garratt & Thomas Troger, 2004. "Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale," Microeconomics 0405005, EconWPA.
- Haile, Philip A., 2000. "Partial Pooling at the Reserve Price in Auctions with Resale Opportunities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 231-248, November.
- Haile,P.A., 1999. "Auctions with resale," Working papers 33, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Infinite-Horizon Models of Bargaining with One-Sided Incomplete Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1098, David K. Levine.
- Alexander Matros & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2008.
"Optimal Fees in Internet Auctions,"
3, Kyiv School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olena Nizalova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.