The Impact of Resale on Entry in Second Price Auctions
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of resale allowance on entry strategies in a second price auction with two bidders whose entries are sequential and costly. We first characterize the perfect Bayesian equilibrium in cutoff strategies. We then show that there exists a unique threshold such that if the reseller's bargaining power is greater (less) than the threshold, resale allowance causes the leading bidder (the following bidder) to have a higher (lower) incentive on entry; i.e., the cutoff of entry becomes lower (higher). We also discuss asymmetric bidders and the original seller's expected revenue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Alberta, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2013-6.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 01 May 2013
Date of revision:
second price auctions; costly participation; sequential entry; resale;
Other versions of this item:
- Che, XiaoGang & Lee, Peter & Yang, Yibai, 2013. "The impact of resale on entry in second price auctions," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 163-168.
- Che, XiaoGang & Lee, Peter & Yang, Yibai, 2013. "The Impact of Resale on Entry in Second Price Auctions," Working Papers 2013-07, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-05-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CTA-2013-05-19 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-MIC-2013-05-19 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isa Hafalir & Vijay Krishna, 2008. "Asymmetric Auctions with Resale," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 87-112, March.
- Marco Pagnozzi, 2004. "Bidding to Lose? Auctions with Resale," CSEF Working Papers 116, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Nov 2006.
- Bulow, Jeremy I. & Klemperer, Paul, 2009.
"Why Do Sellers (Usually) Prefer Auctions?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7411, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haile, Philip A., 2000. "Partial Pooling at the Reserve Price in Auctions with Resale Opportunities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 231-248, November.
- Garratt, Rod & Tröger, Thomas, 2005.
"Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
42, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Gupta, Madhurima & Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First price auctions with resale," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-185, August.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions with entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 343-347.
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2006.
"Equilibria in second price auctions with participation costs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 205-219, September.
- Guofu Tan & Okan Yilankaya, 2005. "Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs," IEPR Working Papers 05.7, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2004. "Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs," Micro Theory Working Papers tan-04-01-24-10-08-06, Microeconomics.ca Website, revised 09 Jun 2006.
- Lebrun, Bernard, 2012. "Optimality and the English and second-price auctions with resale," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 731-751.
- Levin, Dan & Smith, James L, 1994. "Equilibrium in Auctions with Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-99, June.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 2009. "Why Do Sellers (Usually) Prefer Auctions?," Economics Series Working Papers 2009-W05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Samuelson, William F., 1985. "Competitive bidding with entry costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 53-57.
- Tian, Guoqiang & Xiao, Mingjun, 2009. "Vickrey Auctions with Sequential and Costly Participation," MPRA Paper 41203, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cheng, Harrison, 2011. "Auctions with resale and bargaining power," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 300-308.
- Tymofiy Mylovanov & Thomas Tröger, 2009. "Optimal auction with resale—a characterization of the conditions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 509-528, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brenda Carrier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.