The Informational Content of Trades on the EuroMTS Platform
AbstractThis paper presents unambiguous evidence that trading European government securities on EuroMTS contributes to determine their (unobservable) efficient price. Using twenty-seven months of daily transaction prices data for 107 bonds issued by eleven European governments, the estimated EuroMTS market’s contribution to price discovery is about 20 percent, on average. Further, the amount of price discovery turns out to be strongly related to trading activity and price volatility conditions even controlling for institutional factors and for the maturity of bonds. Overall, the empirical results suggest that trades conveying information occur on EuroMTS when the level of liquidity is sufficiently high.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 97.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
European bond markets; price discovery; MTS system.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2008-07-05 (European Economics)
- NEP-MST-2008-07-05 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Pagano, Marco & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2004.
"The European Bond Markets Under EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alfonso Dufour & Frank Skinner, 2004. "MTS Time Series: Market and Data Description for the European Bond and Repo Database," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2004-06, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W Marsh, 2004.
"An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment-grade bonds and credit default swaps,"
Bank of England working papers
211, Bank of England.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2004. "An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment grade bonds and credit default swaps," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0401, Banco de Espa�a.
- Massa, Massimo & Simonov, Andrei, 2003.
"Reputation and interdealer trading: a microstructure analysis of the Treasury Bond market,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 99-141, April.
- Massa, Massimo & Simonov, Andrei, 2001. "Reputation and Interdealer Trading. A Microstructure Analysis of the Treasury Bond Market," SIFR Research Report Series 5, Institute for Financial Research.
- Pierre Perron & Robert J. Shiller, 1984.
"Testing the Random Walk Hypothesis: Power Versus Frequency of Observation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
732, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shiller, Robert J. & Perron, Pierre, 1985. "Testing the random walk hypothesis : Power versus frequency of observation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 381-386.
- Robert J. Shiller & Pierre Perron, 1985. "Testing the Random Walk Hypothesis: Power versus Frequency of Observation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- Christian Upper & Thomas Werner, 2002. "How resilient are financial markets to stress? Bund futures and bonds during the 1998 turbulence," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 110-123 Bank for International Settlements.
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2005.
"Trading European sovereign bonds: the microstructure of the MTS trading platforms,"
Working Paper Series
0432, European Central Bank.
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2004. "Trading European Sovereign Bonds: The Microstructure of the MTS Trading Platforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2004. "Informed Trading in Stock and Option Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1235-1258, 06.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Cheung, Yiu C. & Jong, Frank de, 2006.
"Euro-Area Sovereign Yield Dynamics: the role of order imbalance,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0006, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank, 2004. "Euro area sovereign yield dynamics: the role of order imbalance," Working Paper Series 0385, European Central Bank.
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1991.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 571-581, December.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2006.
"Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence From the Euro-Area Bond Market,"
NBER Working Papers
12376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2009. "Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 925-957, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & Tse, Yiuman, 1996. "Cointegration tests with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 401-410, August.
- Stefania ALBANESI & Barbara RINDI, 2000. "The Quality of the Italian Treasury Bond Market, Asymmetric Information and Transaction Costs," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 60, pages 1-19.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Shoesmith, Gary L. & Wood, Robert A., 1995. "Cointegration, Error Correction, and Price Discovery on Informationally Linked Security Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 563-579, December.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Green, Christopher J & Joujon, Emmanuel, 2000. "Unified Tests of Causality and Cost of Carry: The Pricing of the French Stock Index Futures Contract," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 121-40, April.
- Paolo Paesani & Gustavo Piga, 2007. "Transparency in the European Bond Market," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 3-21, May.
- Veall, Michael R & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1994. "Goodness of Fit Measures in the Tobit Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(4), pages 485-99, November.
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2007. "Benchmark Status in Fixed-Income Asset Markets," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1615-1634.
- Roger D. Huang, 2002. "The Quality of ECN and Nasdaq Market Maker Quotes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1285-1319, 06.
- Horvath, Michael T.K. & Watson, Mark W., 1995. "Testing for Cointegration When Some of the Cointegrating Vectors are Prespecified," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 984-1014, October.
- Christopher Chung & Bryan Campbell & Scott Hendry, 2007. "Price Discovery in Canadian Government Bond Futures and Spot Markets," Working Papers 07-4, Bank of Canada.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Huang, Roger D. & Cai, Jun & Wang, Xiaozu, 2002. "Information-Based Trading in the Treasury Note Interdealer Broker Market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 269-296, July.
- Upper, Christian & Werner, Thomas, 2002. "Tail Wags Dog? Time-Varying Information Shares in the Bund Market," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,24, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.