International price discovery in the presence of market microstructure effects
AbstractThis paper addresses and resolves the problems caused by microstructure effects when measuring the relative importance of home and U.S. market in the price discovery process of internationally cross listed stocks. In order to avoid large bounds for information shares, previous studies applying the Cholesky decomposition within the Hasbrouck (1995) framework had to rely on high frequency data. However, this entails a potential bias of estimated information shares induced by microstructure effects. We propose a modified approach that relies on distributional assumptions and yields unique and unbiased information shares. Our results indicate that the role of the U.S. market in the price discovery process of Canadian interlisted stocks has been severely underestimated to date. Moreover, we find that rather than stock specific factors, market design determines information shares. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR) in its series CFR Working Papers with number 08-10.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Albertus Magnus Platz, 50923 Köln
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://cfr-cologne.de/english/version06/html/home.php
More information through EDIRC
international cross-listings; market microstructure effects; price discovery;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- G. Andrew Karolyi, 2006.
"The World of Cross-Listings and Cross-Listings of the World: Challenging Conventional Wisdom,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 10(1), pages 99-152.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004. "The World of Cross-Listings and Cross-Listings of the World: Challenging Conventional Wisdom," Working Paper Series 2004-14, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Huseyin Gulen & Stewart Mayhew, 2004. "Informed Trading in Stock and Option Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(3), pages 1235-1258, 06.
- Figuerola-Ferretti, Isabel & Gonzalo, Jesús, 2010.
"Modelling and measuring price discovery in commodity markets,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 95-107, September.
- Isabel Figuerola-Ferretti & Jesus Gonzalo, 2007. "Modelling and measuring price discovery in commodity markets," Business Economics Working Papers wb074510, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2006.
"Structural Vector Autoregressions with Nonnormal Residuals,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1651, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lanne, Markku & LÃ¼tkepohl, Helmut, 2010. "Structural Vector Autoregressions With Nonnormal Residuals," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 159-168.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2005. "Structural Vector Autoregressions with Nonnormal Residuals," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/25, European University Institute.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2002.
"Estimating quadratic variation using realised variance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2001-W20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Estimating quadratic variation using realized variance," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 457-477.
- Markus Haas, 2004.
"Mixed Normal Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 211-250.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Tripathi, Gautam, 2000. "Econometric Methods," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 139-142, February.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," NBER Working Papers 8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F. M. Bandi & J. R. Russell, 2008. "Microstructure Noise, Realized Variance, and Optimal Sampling," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 339-369.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2007. "Competition and Survival of Stock Exchanges: Lessons From Canada," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-26, CIRANO.
- Erik Hupperets & Bert Menkveld, 2000.
"Intraday Analysis of Market Integration: Dutch Blue Chips traded in Amsterdam and New York,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-018/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hupperets, Erik C. J. & Menkveld, Albert J., 2002. "Intraday analysis of market integration: Dutch blue chips traded in Amsterdam and New York," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 57-82, January.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- de Jong, Frank, 2002.
"Measures of contributions to price discovery: a comparison,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-327, July.
- Frank de Jong, 2001. "Measures of Contributions to Price Discovery: A Comparison," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-114/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005.
"Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005. "Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Harris, Frederick H. deB. & McInish, Thomas H. & Wood, Robert A., 2002. "Common factor components versus information shares: a reply," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 341-348, July.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Bootstrap inference in econometrics," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 615-645, November.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Schulz, Alexander & Stapf, Jelena, 2009. "Price discovery on traded inflation expectations: does the financial crisis matter?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,25, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.