Cross-Border Listings and Price Discovery: Evidence from U.S.-Listed Canadian Stocks
AbstractWe examine the contribution of cross-listings to price discovery for a sample of Canadian stocks listed on both the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE) and a U.S. exchange. We find that prices on the TSE and U.S. exchange are cointegrated and mutually adjusting. The U.S. share of price discovery ranges from 0.2 percent to 98.2 percent, with an average of 38.1 percent. The U.S. share is directly related to the U.S. share of trading and to the ratio of proportions of informative trades on the U.S. exchange and the TSE, and inversely related to the ratio of bid-ask spreads. Copyright (c) 2003 by the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2012141 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grammig, Joachim G. & Peter, Franziska J., 2008. "International price discovery in the presence of microstructure noise," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/50, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Chen, Haiqiang & Choi, Paul Moon Sub, 2012. "Does information vault Niagara Falls? Cross-listed trading in New York and Toronto," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 175-199.
- Otsubo, Yoichi, 2014. "International cross-listing and price discovery under trading concentration in the domestic market: Evidence from Japanese shares," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 36-51.
- repec:wyi:journl:002166 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tswei, Keshin, 2013. "Is transaction price more value relevant compared to accounting information? An investigation of a time-series approach," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1062-1078.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011.
"Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1139, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Girardi, Alessandro, 2013. "Price discovery and trade fragmentation in a multi-market environment: Evidence from the MTS system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 227-240.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011. "Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System," CESifo Working Paper Series 3525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ende, Bartholomäus & Lutat, Marco, 2010. "Trade-throughs in European cross-traded equities after transaction costs: Empirical evidence for the EURO STOXX 50," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Elvira Sojli & Wing Wah Tham, 2012.
"Sunshine Trading: Flashes of Trading Intent at the NASDAQ,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-141/IV/DSF47, Tinbergen Institute.
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Elvira Sojli & Wing Wah Tham, 2011. "Sunshine trading: Flashes of trading intent at the NASDAQ," Working Paper 2011/17, Norges Bank.
- Joyce Hsieh & Chien-Chung Nieh, 2010. "An overview of Asian equity markets," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 19-51, November.
- Christoffersen, Susan E.K. & Geczy, Christopher C. & Musto, David K. & Reed, Adam V., 2005. "Crossborder dividend taxation and the preferences of taxable and nontaxable investors: Evidence from Canada," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 121-144, October.
- Kate Phylaktis & Gikas Manalis, 2005. "Price transmission dynamics between informationally linked securities," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 187-201.
- Akber, Ushna & Muhammad, Nabeel, 2013. "Is Pakistan Stock Market moving towards Weak-form efficiency? Evidence from the Karachi Stock Exchange and the Random Walk Nature of free-float of shares of KSE 30 Index," MPRA Paper 49128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chang, Eric C. & Luo, Yan & Ren, Jinjuan, 2013. "Cross-listing and pricing efficiency: The informational and anchoring role played by the reference price," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4449-4464.
- repec:wyi:journl:002160 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lulu Gu & W. Robert Reed, 2012.
"Information Asymmetry, Market Segmentation and Cross-Listing: Implicatons for Event Study Methodology,"
Working Papers in Economics
12/08, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Gu, Lulu & Reed, W. Robert, 2013. "Information asymmetry, market segmentation, and cross-listing: Implications for event study methodology," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 28-40.
- Kehrle, Kerstin & Peter, Franziska J., 2013. "Who moves first? An intensity-based measure for information flows across stock exchanges," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1629-1642.
- Yang Hou & Steven Li, 2013. "Price Discovery in Chinese Stock Index Futures Market: New Evidence Based on Intraday Data," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 49-70, March.
- Alessandro Girardi & Claudio Impenna, 2013. "Price discovery in the Italian sovereign bonds market: the role of order flow," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 906, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alhaj-Yaseen, Yaseen S. & Lam, Eddery & Barkoulas, John T., 2014. "Price discovery for cross-listed firms with foreign IPOs," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 80-87.
- Alsayed, Hamad & McGroarty, Frank, 2012. "Arbitrage and the Law of One Price in the market for American depository receipts," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1258-1276.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.