Price Discovery in Canadian and U.S. 10-Year Government Bond Markets
AbstractThis paper presents some new results on the price discovery process in both the Canadian and U.S. 10-year Government bond markets using high-frequency data not previously analyzed. Using techniques introduced by Hasbrouck (1995) and Gonzalo-Granger (1995), we look at the relative information content of cash and futures prices in the market for Canadian Government bonds using futures market data from the Montreal Exchange and OTC cash market data reflecting the inter-dealer market covered by CanPx. We also analyze similar data from the US market over a somewhat longer period using data on the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) futures market as well as the cash market from GovPx in the first part of the sample and subsequently from BrokerTec. In general, we find that relatively more price discovery occurs in the futures markets than the cash markets in both Canada and the U.S. and that the results look remarkably similar across the two countries despite the large differences in the sizes of their markets and in their characteristics, particularly on the cash side. These overall results, however, hide the fact that information shares for the U.S. futures markets declined throughout 2004-05 apparently as a result of improvements in the spot market BrokerTec platform. Day-to-day variation in price discovery information shares is related to bid-ask spreads, trading volumes, and realized volatility in the markets but there remains much unexplained.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 07-43.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Financial markets; Market structure and pricing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2007-08-27 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MST-2007-08-27 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coluzzi, Chiara & Ginebri, Sergio & Turco, Manuel, 2008. "Measuring and Analyzing the Liquidity of the Italian Treasury Security Wholesale Secondary Market," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp08044, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.