How Tight is the Labour Market? A Micro-Based Macro Indicator
AbstractWe develop a new indicator of labour market tightness, based on the pure calendar time changes in individuals’ transition rates from unemployment to employment.Based on Norwegian register data from the 1989-2002 period, we show that this indicator,in contrast to the aggregate rate of unemployment, correlates well with an expost-calculated GDP-based business cycle indicator, even around the time of business cycle turning points. The indicator can be calculated just as quickly as the unemployment rate, both at an aggregate and a disaggregate level, and hence improve policy makers ability to assess current labour market developments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Department of Economics in its series Memorandum with number 09/2003.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Labour market tightness; Business cycles; Unemployment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J & van Ours, Jan C, 1995.
"The Anatomy of Unemployment Dynamics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G. van den & Ours, J.C. van, 1999. "The Anatomy of Unemployment Dynamics," Discussion Paper 1999-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G. van den & Ours, J.C. van, 2002. "The anatomy of unemployment dynamics," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91479, Tilburg University.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G.J. & Ours, J.C., 1994. "The anatomy of unemployment dynamics," Serie Research Memoranda 0024, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 1998.
"Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano & Samuel Bentolila, 2002. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 223-265, April.
- Bover, O. & Arellano, M. & Bentolila, S., 1997. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration, and the Business Cycle," Papers 9717, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- Fredrik Carlsen & K�re Johansen & Knut R�ed, 2006.
"Wage Formation, Regional Migration and Local Labour Market Tightness,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(4), pages 423-444, 08.
- Kåre Johansen & Fredrik Carlsen & Knut Røed, . "Wage Formation, Regional Migration and Local Labour Market Tightness," Working Paper Series 2903, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Carlsen, Fredrik & Johansen, Kare, 2005. "Regional wages and subjective measures of employment opportunities," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 377-400, May.
- Nordberg, Morten & Kverndokk, Snorre, 2009. "Absenteeism, Health Insurance, and Business Cycles," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2003:17, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Zhang, Tao, 2003. "A Monte Carlo study on non-parametric estimation of duration models with unobserved heterogeneity," Memorandum 25/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Ekhaugen, Tyra, 2007. "Long-term Outcomes of Vocational Rehabilitation Programs: Labor Market Transitions and Job Durations for Immigrants," Memorandum 10/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Gaure, Simen & Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2007.
"Time and causality: A Monte Carlo assessment of the timing-of-events approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1159-1195, December.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Time and Causality: A Monte Carlo Assessment of the Timing-of-Events Approach," Memorandum 19/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007.
"Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions,"
13/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007. "Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions," IZA Discussion Papers 2877, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.