Do Labour Market Programmes Speed up the Return to Work?
AbstractWe evaluate the impact of labour market programmes on unemployment durations in Norway, by means of a distribution-free mixed proportional competing risks hazard rate model. We find that programme participation, once completed, improves employment prospects, but that there is often an opportunity cost in the form of a lock-in effect during participation. The average net effect of programme participation on the length of the job search period is found to be around zero. For participants with poor employment prospects, the favourable post-programme effects outweigh the negative lock-in effects. Copyright 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 68 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J. & Kelly, Elish & Walsh, John R., 2011. "Activation in Ireland: An Evaluation of the National Employment Action Plan," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS20.
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007.
"Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions,"
13/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2007. "Unemployment Insurance in Welfare States: Soft Constraints and Mild Sanctions," IZA Discussion Papers 2877, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2008.
"The Impacts of Labor Market Policies on Job Search Behavior and Post-Unemployment Job Quality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3802, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2008. "The Impacts of Labor Market Policies on Job Search Behavior and Post-Unemployment Job Quality," Memorandum 22/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005.
"Time and Causality: A Monte Carlo Assessment of the Timing-of-Events Approach,"
19/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Gaure, Simen & Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2007. "Time and causality: A Monte Carlo assessment of the timing-of-events approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1159-1195, December.
- McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J. & Kelly, Elish, 2011. "Carrots without Sticks: The Impacts of Job Search Assistance in a Regime with Minimal Monitoring and Sanctions," Papers WP409, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Immervoll, Herwig, 2009.
"Minimum-Income Benefits in OECD Countries: Policy Design, Effectiveness and Challenges,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4627, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Herwig Immervoll, 2010. "Minimum Income Benefits in OECD Countries: Policy Design, Effectiveness and Challenges," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 100, OECD Publishing.
- Ekhaugen, Tyra, 2007. "Long-term Outcomes of Vocational Rehabilitation Programs: Labor Market Transitions and Job Durations for Immigrants," Memorandum 10/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Røed, Knut, 2012. "Active Unemployment Insurance," IZA Policy Papers 41, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kyyrä, Tomi, 2010.
"Partial unemployment insurance benefits and the transition rate to regular work,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 911-930, October.
- Tomi Kyyrä, 2008. "Partial Unemployment Insurance Benefits and the Transition Rate to Regular Work," Discussion Papers 440, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Westlie, Lars, 2008. "Norwegian Vocational Rehabilitation Programs: Improving Employability and Preventing Disability?," Memorandum 24/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Westlie, Lars, 2012. "Job search incentives and job match quality," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 438-450.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Zhang, Tao, 2010. "Estimation of Heterogeneous Treatment Effects on Hazard Rates," IZA Discussion Papers 4794, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- T. Everhardt & Ph. Jong, 2011. "Return to Work After Long Term Sickness," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(3), pages 361-380, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.