Water resources in the twenty-first century: challenges and implications for action
AbstractIn this paper, Mark W. Rosegrant assesses global water supply and demand, describes in detail the forces contributing to water scarcity, and lays out a number of strategies for managing water in the future. Any solution, Rosegrant asserts, will need to involve both the careful exploitation of new sources of water and strong measures to stimulate more efficient use of water. Policies must treat water not as a free good, as they often do now, but rather as a scarce commodity that comes at a price. Cooperation between countries sharing the same water basin will also become increasingly important as water becomes more scarce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series 2020 vision discussion papers with number 20.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Water resources development.; Sustainable agriculture.; Water-supply.; Irrigation farming.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall, Alan, 1981. "Property Entitlements And Pricing Policies For A Maturing Water Economy," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 25(03), December.
- Aluwihare, P. B. & Kikuchi, M., 1991.
"Irrigation investment trends in Sri Lanka: New construction and beyond,"
IWMI Books, Reports
H009282, International Water Management Institute.
- Aluwihare, P.B. & Kikuchi, Masao, 1991. "Irrigation investment trends in Sri Lanka: new construction and beyond," IWMI Books, International Water Management Institute, number 113725.
- Frederiksen, H.D. & Berkoff, J. & Barber, W., 1993. "Water Resources Management in Asia, Volume I Main Report," Papers 212, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Schleyer, Renato Gazmuri & Yadav, Satya N., 1995. "Water policy for efficient agricultural diversification: market-based approaches," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 203-223, June.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1994. "Markets in tradable water rights: Potential for efficiency gains in developing country water resource allocation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1613-1625, November.
- Frederick, K.D., 1993. "Balancing Water Demands with Supplies; The Role of Management in a world of Increasing Scarcity," Papers 189, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Brown, E.P. & Nooter, R., 1992. "Successful Small-Scale Irrigation in the Sahel," Papers 171, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 2000. "Food policy research for developing countries: emerging issues and unfinished business," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 125-141, April.
- Janmaat, John, 2008. "Playing monopoly in the creek: Imperfect competition, development, and in-stream flows," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 455-473, August.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ringler, Claudia & McKinney, Daene C. & Cai, Ximing & Keller, Andrew & Donoso, G., 2000.
"Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin,"
EPTD discussion papers
63, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rosegrant, M. W. & Ringler, C. & McKinney, D. C. & Cai, X. & Keller, A. & Donoso, G., 2000. "Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 33-46, December.
- Rosegrant, M.W. & Ringler, C. & McKinney, D.C. & Cai, X. & Keller, A. & Donoso, G., 2000. "Integrated economic-hydrologic water modeling at the basin scale: the Maipo river basin," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(1), December.
- Banerjee, Onil & Bark, Rosalind & Connor, Jeff & Crossman, Neville D., 2013. "An ecosystem services approach to estimating economic losses associated with drought," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 19-27.
- Janmaat, John A & Ruijs, Arjan, 2006. "Investing in Arms to Secure Water," MPRA Paper 10667, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul, 1998. "Food security and sustainable use of natural resources: a 2020 Vision," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-10, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.