Did U.S. Safeguard Resuscitate Harley Davidson in the 1980s?
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of U.S. safeguard on motorcycle imports in the period from 1983 to 1987. After receiving the temporary protection with the maximum tariff of more than 45%, Harley Davidson drastically recovered its sales. The paper conducts structural analyses of the motorcycle market, and finds that the safeguard contributed merely a fraction of Harley Davidson's profit. This finding is primarily due to small cross-price elasticity of demand between American and Japanese motorcycle models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 07026.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kitano, Taiju & Ohashi, Hiroshi, 2009. "Did US safeguards resuscitate Harley-Davidson in the 1980s?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 186-197, November.
- Taiju Kitano & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2009. "Did US Safeguards Resuscitate Harley-Davidson in the 1980s?," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-612, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2007-05-04 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-SEA-2007-05-04 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Ohashi, Hiroshi, 2002. "Anticipatory effects of voluntary export restraints: a study of home video cassette recorders market, 1978-86," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 83-105, June.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1987.
"Are Imports to Blame? Attribution of Injury under the 1974 Trade Act,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 101-22, April.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1985. "Are Imports to Blame?: Attribution of Injury Under the 1974 Trade Act," NBER Working Papers 1640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aviv Nevo, 2000. "A Practitioner's Guide to Estimation of Random-Coefficients Logit Models of Demand," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 513-548, December.
- Clerides, Sofronis, 2008. "Gains from trade in used goods: Evidence from automobiles," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 322-336, December.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz & Ohno, Yuka, 1999. "Credibility of Protection and Incentives to Innovate," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 143-63, February.
- Kelly, Kenneth, 1988. "The Analysis of Causality in Escape Clause Cases," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 187-207, December.
- Pakes, Ariel & Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James A, 1993. "Applications and Limitations of Some Recent Advances in Empirical Industrial Organization: Price Indexes and the Analysis of Environmental Change," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 241-46, May.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Ariel Pakes, 1999. "Voluntary Export Restraints on Automobiles: Evaluating a Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 400-430, June.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2011.
"The Influence of Chinese Trade Policy on Automobile Assembly and Parts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3615, CESifo Group Munich.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2012. "The Influence of Chinese Trade Policy on Automobile Assembly and Parts," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 58(4), pages 703-730, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.