Measuring Convergence Speed of Asset Prices Toward a Pre-Announced Target
AbstractIn this paper we examine asset price dynamics (i.e. the convergence speed) in the event of pre-announced conversion values and dates. The theoretical framework for these dynamics has been developed in De Grauwe, Dewachter and Veestraeten (1999). We examine two instances of conversion, notably the 1879-Resumption of Specie Payments in the USA and the conversion of European currencies into the Euro on January 1, 1999. In our econometric model we treat the underlying fundamentals as unobservable and estimate their evolution via a Kalman filtering technique. Estimation results reveal values for the rate or speed of convergence that are in line with intuition and amount to levels well below (implicit) estimates listed in literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces9902.
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Hans Dewachter & Dirk Veestraeten, 2001. "Measuring convergence speed of asset prices toward a pre-announced target," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 591-601.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1992.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Stochastic Regime Shifts: A Unified Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
2835, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Exchange-rate dynamics under stochastic regime shifts : A unified approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3-4), pages 203-229, November.
- Froot, Kenneth & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Stochastic Regime Shifts: A Unified Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 522, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K. & Mathieson, Donald J., 1991.
"An empirical exploration of exchange-rate target-zones,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-65, January.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose & Donald J. Mathieson, 1990. "An Empirical Exploration of Exchange Rate Target-Zones," NBER Working Papers 3543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald J. Mathieson & Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1991. "An Empirical Exploration of Exchange Rate Target-Zones," IMF Working Papers 91/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1983.
"A Model of Stochastic Process Switching,"
NBER Working Papers
0626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klein, Michael W. & Lewis, Karen K., 1993.
"Learning about intervention target zones,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(3-4), pages 275-295, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1991.
"Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions,"
NBER Working Papers
2998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 241-50, January.
- Burda, Michael & Gerlach, Stefan, 1993.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics and Currency Unification: The Ostmark-DM Rate,"
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 417-29.
- Burda, Michael C & Gerlach, Stefan, 1990. "Exchange Rate Dynamics and Currency Unification: The Ostmark-DM Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Meese, Richard A, 1986. "Testing for Bubbles in Exchange Markets: A Case of Sparkling Rates?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 345-73, April.
- Gardeazabal, Javier & Regulez, Marta & Vazquez, Jesus, 1997. "Testing the Canonical Model of Exchange Rates with Unobservable Fundamentals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 389-404, May.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1994. "Speculative Anticipations of Sterling's Return to Gold: Was Keynes Wrong?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 804-12, July.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans & Veestraeten, Dirk, 1999. "Price dynamics under stochastic process switching: some extensions and an application to EMU1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 195-224, February.
- Smith, Gregor W, 1991. "Solution to a Problem of Stochastic Process Switching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 237-39, January.
- Burmeister, Edwin & Wall, Kent D., 1982. "Kalman filtering estimation of unobserved rational expectations with an application to the German hyperinflation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 255-284, November.
- Green, Christopher J. & Bai, Ye, 2008. "The euro: Did the markets cheer or jeer?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 431-446.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.