Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India
AbstractOne important issue facing reformers considering the restructuring of the seaports and freight railways sectors of a developing country is the creation of competition or, alternatively, avoiding the creation or preservation of monopoly power. In seaports a crucial distinction is often that between intraport and interport competition; in freight railways, between competition among train operating companies over a monopoly track and competition among vertically integrated railways. In both cases it is useful to frame the issue as one of competition at the component level within an open system versus competition between closed systems. In both cases as well, the market definition paradigm suggested by the Horizontal Merger Guidelines of the U.S. competition agencies provides a useful framework for analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Justice, Antitrust Division in its series EAG Discussions Papers with number 200906.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
competition; ports; railways; market definition; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-05-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2010-05-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IND-2010-05-22 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Llanto, Gilberto M. & Basilio, Leilanie Q. & Basilio, Enrico L., 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Discussion Papers DP 2005-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1990. "Railroads and Competition: The Santa Fe/Southern Pacific Merger Proposal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 25-46, September.
- Kumar, Sudhir, 2009. "Bankruptcy to Billions: How the Indian Railways Transformed," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198060857, September.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Oecd, 2006. "Structural Reform in the Rail Industry," OECD Journal: Competition Law and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 67-175.
- Benitez, Daniel & Estache, Antonio, 2005.
"How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3513, The World Bank.
- Benitez Daniel & Estache Antonio, 2005. "How Concentrated are Global Infrastructure Markets?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-23, September.
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez, 2005. "How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43970, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006.
"Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
29, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," IWH Discussion Papers 5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Pittman Russell, 2005. "Structural Separation to Create Competition? The Case of Freight Railways," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Peter W. De Langen & Athanasios A. Pallis, 2005. "Analysis Of The Benefits Of Intra-Port Competition," Industrial Organization 0510003, EconWPA, revised 17 Oct 2005.
- Gilberto M. Llanto & Enrico L. Basilio & Leilanie Basilio, 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Development Economics Working Papers 22648, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001.
"Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 203-235, June.
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Development and Comp Systems 0111001, EconWPA.
- Terry Gourvish, 2009. "Bankruptcy to billions: how the Indian railways transformed," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(6), pages 968-969.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Options for Restructuring the State-Owned Monopoly Railway," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 179-198, January.
- Antoine Frémont, 2009. "Empirical Evidence for Integration and Disintegration of Maritime Shipping, Port and Logistics Activities," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/1, OECD Publishing.
- Russell Pittman, 2009.
"Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries,"
EAG Discussions Papers
200902, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- R. Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
- Nakil Sung & Yong-Hun Lee, 2002. "Substitution between Mobile and Fixed Telephones in Korea," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 367-374, June.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2001. "Technical efficiency gains from port reform : the potential for yardstick competition in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2637, The World Bank.
- Eddy van de Voorde & Thierry Vanelslander, 2009. "Market Power and Vertical and Horizontal Integration in the Maritime Shipping and Port Industry," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/2, OECD Publishing.
- Flavio M. Menezes & Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2007.
"Strategic Interaction amongst Australia's East Coast Ports,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 267-278, 09.
- Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2006. "Strategic Interaction amongst Australia’s East Coast Ports," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2006-471, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- Pittman, Russell, 2011. "Risk-averse restructuring of freight railways in China," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 152-160.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Vu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.