Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis
AbstractIn the course of railway reforms at the end of the last century, European na- tional governments, as well the EU Commission, decided to open markets and to separate railway networks from train operations. Vertically integrated railway com- panies argue that such a separation of infrastructure and operations would diminish the advantages of vertical integration and would therefore not be suitable to raise economic welfare. In this paper, we conduct a pan-European analysis to investi- gate the performance of European railways with a particular focus on economies of scope associated with vertical integration. We test the hypothesis that integrated railways realize economies of joint production and, thus, produce railway services on a higher level of efficiency. To determine whether joint or separate production is more efficient we apply an innovative Data Envelopment Analysis super-efficiency bootstrapping model which relates the efficiency for integrated production to a vir- tual reference set consisting of the separated production technology and which is applicable to other network industries as energy and telecommunication as well. Our findings are that for a majority of European Railway companies economies of scope exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 29.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
Efficiency; Vertical Integration; Railway Industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," IWH Discussion Papers 5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diego Prior & Magda Solà, 2000. "Technical efficiency and economies of diversification in health care," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 299-307, September.
- Günter Knieps, 2004. "Privatisation of Network Industries in Germany: A Disaggregated Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1188, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gathon, H.-J. & Pestieau, P., .
"Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1133, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gathon, H. -J. & Pestieau, P., 1995. "Decomposing efficiency into its managerial and its regulatory components: The case of European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 500-507, February.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2003. "International benchmarking and regulation: an application to European electricity distribution utilities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1609-1622, December.
- John D. Bitzan, 2003. "Railroad Costs and Competition: The Implications of Introducing Competition to Railroad Networks," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 37(2), pages 201-225, May.
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Yaisawarng, Suthathip, 1993. "Economies of diversification in the banking industry : A frontier approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 229-249, April.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2004.
"Railway (De)Regulation: A European Efficiency Comparison,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2003. "Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison," IDEI Working Papers 221, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Magnussen, Jon, 2009. "Economies of scope in Norwegian hospital production - A DEA analysis," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2003:8, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Cantos Sánchez, P., 2001. "Vertical relationships for the European railway industry," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 77-83, April.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez & Pedro Cantos, 2002. "Cost And Revenue Inefficiencies In The European Railways," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pittman Russell, 2005. "Structural Separation to Create Competition? The Case of Freight Railways," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Knieps, Günter, 2004. "Privatisation of Network Industries in Germany : A Disaggregated Approach," Discussion Papers 100, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2001. "International Benchmarking and Yardstick Regulation: An Application to European Electricity Utilities," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0115, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Russell Pittman, 2007. "Make or buy on the Russian railway? Coase, Williamson, and Tsar Nicholas II," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 207-221, September.
- Krol, Marcin, 2009. "Benefits and Costs of vertical Separation in Network Industries. The Case of Railway Transport in the European Environment," MPRA Paper 23815, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pittman, Russell, 2011. "Risk-averse restructuring of freight railways in China," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 152-160.
- R. Pittman, 2009.
"Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," EAG Discussions Papers 200902, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.