Options for Restructuring the State-Owned Monopoly Railway
AbstractVertical separation in the freight railways sector may sacrifice significant economies of integration. Economies of density suggest that corresponding benefits may be elusive. We examine competitive alternatives to vertical separation. One option is the creation of competition among restructured vertically integrated railways, an option generally limited to relatively large countries absent willingness to create multinational railway networks. Second is the opening of the infrastructure of the integrated railway to access by train operating companies. Rarely are the benefits of separation of train from track likely to be so great as to outweigh the losses from the vertical separation itself.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in Transportation Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620614/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Li, Yan & Pittman, Russell, 2012.
"The proposed merger of AT&T and T-Mobile: Are there unexhausted scale economies in U.S. mobile telephony?,"
39043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Russell Pittman, 2012. "The Proposed Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile: Are There Unexhausted Scale Economies in U.S. Mobile Telephony?," EAG Discussions Papers 201202, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Beria, Paolo & Quinet, Emile & de Rus, Gines & Schulz, Carola, 2010.
"A comparison of rail liberalisation levels across four European countries,"
29142, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beria, Paolo & Quinet, Emile & de Rus, Gines & Schulz, Carola, 2012. "A comparison of rail liberalisation levels across four European countries," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 110-120.
- Russell Pittman, 2009.
"Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries,"
EAG Discussions Papers
200902, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- R. Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.