Risk-averse restructuring of freight railways in China
AbstractThe Chinese freight railways system has been under capacity pressure and apparently acting as a constraint on continued economic growth for several years now. Earlier government consideration of serious structural reforms has given way to an emphasis on a dramatic expansion of the track network, most conspicuously by construction of high-speed passenger lines to free capacity for freight trains. A good deal of uncertainty remains as to both whether there will be sufficient track capacity to handle the increased volumes of coal and containers necessary for continued growth, and whether the desired private investment funds will be forthcoming so long as the system remains under tight government control.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Utilities Policy.
Volume (Year): 19 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30478
Railways; Restructuring; China; Coal; Containers;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006.
"Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis,"
IWH Discussion Papers
5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics 29, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Cantos Sánchez Pedro & Pastor Monsálvez José Manuel & Serrano Martínez Lorenzo, 2008. "Vertical and Horizontal Separation in the European Railway Sector: Effects on Productivity," Working Papers 201065, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001.
"Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 203-235, June.
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Development and Comp Systems 0111001, EconWPA.
- Slack, Brian & Vogt, Alexander, 2007. "Challenges confronting new traction providers of rail freight in Germany," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 399-409, September.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Russell Pittman & Vanessa Yanhua Zhang, 2010. "Electricity Restructuring In China: How Competitive Will Generation Markets Be?," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(02), pages 377-400.
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1990. "Railroads and Competition: The Santa Fe/Southern Pacific Merger Proposal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 25-46, September.
- Ruhe Xie & Haibo Chen & Chris Nash, 2002. "Migration of railway freight transport from command economy to market economy: The case of China," Transport Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 159-177, January.
- Oecd, 2006. "Structural Reform in the Rail Industry," OECD Journal: Competition Law and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 67-175.
- Russell Pittman, 2004. "Chinese Railway Reform and Competition: Lessons from the Experience in Other Countries," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 309-332, May.
- Antonio Couto & Daniel Graham, 2009. "The determinants of efficiency and productivity in European railways," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2827-2851.
- Nick Wills-Johnson, 2008. "Separability and Subadditivity in Australian Railways," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(264), pages 95-108, 03.
- Russell Pittman, 2007. "Make or buy on the Russian railway? Coase, Williamson, and Tsar Nicholas II," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 207-221, September.
- Nakil Sung & Yong-Hun Lee, 2002. "Substitution between Mobile and Fixed Telephones in Korea," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 367-374, June.
- Pittman Russell, 2005. "Structural Separation to Create Competition? The Case of Freight Railways," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Brambilla, Irene, 2009.
"Multinationals, technology, and the introduction of varieties of goods,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 89-101, September.
- Irene Brambilla, 2006. "Multinationals, Technology, and the Introduction of Varieties of Goods," NBER Working Papers 12217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rong, Zhang & Bouf, Dominique, 2005. "How can competition be introduced into Chinese railways?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 345-352, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.