Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways
AbstractA variety of proposals for creating more competition within the railroad sector and in the broader freight transport sector are under consideration in countries throughout the world. Brazil, though something of a latecomer to wider infrastructure reform, has recently taken large steps in restructuring its railroad system. This paper analyzes Brazil's ongoing railroad reforms, seeking to place them in the context both of the broader reform project going on in Brazil and of railroad reforms taking place in developing and developed countries worldwide.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
Volume (Year): 1 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724
railway; privatization; regulatory reform; restructuring; Brazil;
Other versions of this item:
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Development and Comp Systems 0111001, EconWPA.
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Government Pricing and Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev & Russell Pittman & Elizaveta Shevyakhova & Anna Tomov�, 2006.
"Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 251-271, August.
- Russell Pittman & Sergei Guriev & Guido Friebel & Anna Tomova & Elizaveta Cheviakhova, 2005. "Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?," Industrial Organization 0504021, EconWPA.
- Pittman, Russell, 2011. "Risk-averse restructuring of freight railways in China," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 152-160.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Russell Pittman, 2001. "Vertical Restructuring of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Industrial Organization 0111002, EconWPA.
- Stähler, Frank & Traub, Stefan, 2009. "Privatization and liberalization in vertically linked markets," TranState Working Papers 95, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "A Note on Non-Discriminatory Access to Railroad Infrastructure," Industrial Organization 0303004, EconWPA.
- Goldstein, Andrea & Pires, Jose Claudio Linhares, 2002. "Brazilian Regulatory Agencies: Early Appraisal and Looming Challenges," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30615, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Pittman, Russell & Choi, Sunghee, 2013. "The Economics of Railways Restructuring in South Korea," MPRA Paper 44992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.