Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways
AbstractA variety of proposals for creating more competition within the railroad sector are under consideration in countries throughout the world. Brazil, though something of latecomer to wider infrastructure reform, has recently taken large steps in restructuring its railroad system. This paper analyzes Brazil's ongoing railroad reforms, seeking to place them in the context both of broader reform project going on Brazil and railroad reforms taking place in developing and developed countries worldwide.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
Volume (Year): 1 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724
railway; privatization; regulatory reform; restructuring; Brazil;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Development and Comp Systems 0111001, EconWPA.
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pittman, Russell, 2011. "Risk-averse restructuring of freight railways in China," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 152-160.
- Guido Friebel & Sergei Guriev & Russell Pittman & Elizaveta Shevyakhova & Anna Tomov�, 2006.
"Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 251-271, August.
- Russell Pittman & Sergei Guriev & Guido Friebel & Anna Tomova & Elizaveta Cheviakhova, 2005. "Railroad Restructuring in Russia and Central and Eastern Europe: One Solution for All Problems?," Industrial Organization 0504021, EconWPA.
- Pittman, Russell & Choi, Sunghee, 2013. "The Economics of Railways Restructuring in South Korea," MPRA Paper 44992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stähler, Frank & Traub, Stefan, 2009. "Privatization and liberalization in vertically linked markets," TranState Working Papers 95, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Russell Pittman, 2001. "Vertical Restructuring of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Industrial Organization 0111002, EconWPA.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Goldstein, Andrea & Pires, Jose Claudio Linhares, 2002. "Brazilian Regulatory Agencies: Early Appraisal and Looming Challenges," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30615, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "A Note on Non-Discriminatory Access to Railroad Infrastructure," Industrial Organization 0303004, EconWPA.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.