Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries
AbstractFreight railway enterprises in both Europe and North America are in the process of significant restructuring, with EC policy changes dictating new ownership, organization, and cooperation arrangements in Europe and a series of major mergers having already led to highly concentrated regional markets in the U.S. and Canada. Mergers, alliances, and organizational changes may raise important and complex issues regarding the level of competition facing goods shippers, with differing implications depending on the differing institutional contexts. This paper examines the competitive consequences of these developments in Europe and North America and suggests some lessons for other network industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Justice, Antitrust Division in its series EAG Discussions Papers with number 200902.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
railway; competition; mergers; alliances;
Other versions of this item:
- R. Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-05-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2010-05-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IND-2010-05-22 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rne:rneart:v:4:y:2005:i:3:p:220-242 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Oecd, 2006. "Structural Reform in the Rail Industry," OECD Journal: Competition Law and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 67-175.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006.
"Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
29, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," IWH Discussion Papers 5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Pittman Russell, 2005. "Structural Separation to Create Competition? The Case of Freight Railways," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez, 2005.
"How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43970, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benitez Daniel & Estache Antonio, 2005. "How Concentrated are Global Infrastructure Markets?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-23, September.
- Benitez, Daniel & Estache, Antonio, 2005. "How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3513, The World Bank.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1990. "Railroads and Competition: The Santa Fe/Southern Pacific Merger Proposal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 25-46, September.
- Wilson, Wesley W, 1997. "Cost Savings and Productivity in the Railroad Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 21-40, January.
- Burton, Mark L, 1993. "Railroad Deregulation, Carrier Behavior, and Shipper Response: A Disaggregated Analysis," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 417-34, December.
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads," CEPR Discussion Papers 4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chris Nash, 2005. "Rail Infrastructure Charges in Europe," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 39(3), pages 259-278, September.
- Schmidt, Stephen, 2001. "Market structure and market outcomes in deregulated rail freight markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 99-131, January.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Options for Restructuring the State-Owned Monopoly Railway," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 179-198, January.
- Karikari, John Agyei & Brown, Stephen M & Nadji, Mehrzad, 2002. "The Union Pacific/Southern Pacific Railroads Merger: Effect of Trackage Rights on Rates," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 271-85, November.
- Breen Denis A., 2004. "The Union Pacific/Southern Pacific Rail Merger: A Retrospective on Merger Benefits," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-40, September.
- Bitzan, John D & Keeler, Theodore E, 2007. "Economies of Density and Regulatory Change in the U.S. Railroad Freight Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(1), pages 157-79, February.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India," EAG Discussions Papers 200906, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Vu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.