Railroad Deregulation, Carrier Behavior, and Shipper Response: A Disaggregated Analysis
AbstractThe Staggers Rail Act of 1980 provided American railroads with almost complete relief from rate regulation. Regulatory reforms resulted in rapid and pronounced changes in firm behavior and an eventual reconfiguration of the industry as a whole. This investigation provides a highly disaggregated study of deregulated rail rates for 17 commodities. The results indicate that the Staggers Act fundamentally altered the way in which rail carriers price their services. As importantly, the results suggest that shippers have responded to altered railroad behavior by changing the characteristics of their shipments. Together, the changes in railroad behavior and shipper responses to these variations have produced lower railroad rates for a small but measurable number of movements across a wide range of commodities. Copyright 1993 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- R. Pittman, 2009.
"Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," EAG Discussions Papers 200902, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 2010.
"Welfare Tradeoffs in U.S. Rail Mergers,"
TSE Working Papers
10-196, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Schmidt, Stephen, 2001. "Market structure and market outcomes in deregulated rail freight markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 99-131, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.