Equity in the City: On Measuring Urban (Ine)Quality of Life
AbstractWe merge contributions from the New Urban Economics and inequality measurement to assess quality of life (QOL) in a given city. We take the point of view of a city planner in favor of an even accessibility to amenities within the city. Instead of the average value of amenities computed in the Roback (1982) QOL index, our index captures the value of its multidimensional "certainty equivalent". We apply this methodology to derive a QOL index for the city of Milan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza with number ief0101.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Urban quality of life; amenities; hedonic prices; inequality index; just city.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R2 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-05-30 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HAP-2011-05-30 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-MIC-2011-05-30 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2011-05-30 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abul Naga, Ramses H. & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves, 2006.
"Decomposition of bivariate inequality indices by attributes,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 362-367, March.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga & Pierre-Yves Geoffard, 2005. "Decomposition of bivariate inequality indices by attributes," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590715, HAL.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga & Pierre-Yves Geoffard, 2006. "Decomposition of Bivariate Inequality Indicesby Attributes," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 83, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- F. Barthélémy & A. Michelangeli & A. Trannoy, 2004. "La Rénovation de la Goutte d’Or est elle un succès ? Un Diagnostic à l’Aide d’Indices de Prix Immobilier," THEMA Working Papers 2004-10, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Blackorby,Charles & Bossert,Walter & Donaldson,David J., 2005.
"Population Issues in Social Choice Theory, Welfare Economics, and Ethics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521825511, October.
- Blackorby,Charles & Bossert,Walter & Donaldson,David J., 2005. "Population Issues in Social Choice Theory, Welfare Economics, and Ethics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521532587, October.
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo, 2011. "H.P. Minsky And Policies To Countervail Crises," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0102, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Croci Angelini, Elisabetta & Michelangeli, Alessandra, 2012. "Axiomatic measurement of multidimensional well-being inequality: Some distributional questions," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 548-557.
- Giuseppe Mastromatteo, 2011. "The Debate on the Crisis: Recent Reappraisals of the Concept of Functional Finance," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0105, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Massimo Bordignon).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.