The Distributional Impact of Public Services When Needs Differ
AbstractDespite a broad consensus on the need to take into account the value of public services in distributional analysis, there is little reliable evidence on how the inclusion of such non-cash income actually affects poverty and inequality estimates. In particular, the equivalence scales applied to cash income are not necessarily appropriate when including non-cash income, because the receipt of public services is likely to be associated with particular needs. In this paper, we propose a theory-based framework designed to provide a coherent evaluation of the distributional impact of local public services. The valuation of public services, identification of target groups, allocation of expenditures to target groups, and adjustment for differences in needs are derived from a model of local government spending behaviour. Using Norwegian data from municipal accounts and administrative registers we find that the inclusion of non-cash income reduces income inequality by about 15 percent and poverty rates by almost one-third. However, adjusting for differences in needs for public services across population subgroups offsets about half the inequality reduction and some of the poverty decrease.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 4826.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as 'The Distributional Impact of Public Services When Needs Differ' in: Journal of Public Economics, 2010, 94 (9-10), 549 - 562
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The distributional impact of public services when needs differ," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 549-562, October.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne & Østensen, Marit, 2008. "The Impact of Local Public Services and Geographical Cost of Living Differences on Poverty Estimates," IZA Discussion Papers 3686, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge & Manudeep Bhuller & Audun Langørgen & Magne Mogstad, 2010. "The distributional impact of public services when needs differ," Discussion Papers 621, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koo, Jahyeong & Phillips, Keith R & Sigalla, Fiona D, 2000.
"Measuring Regional Cost of Living,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 127-36, January.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. " Issues in the Measurement of Poverty," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(2), pages 285-307.
- Ruggeri, G C & Van Wart, D & Howard, R, 1994. "The Redistributional Impact of Government Spending in Canada," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 49(2), pages 212-43.
- Rolf Aaberge & Audun Langørgen, 2006.
"Measuring The Benefits From Public Services: The Effects Of Local Government Spending On The Distribution Of Income In Norway,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(1), pages 61-83, 03.
- Rolf Aaberge & Audun Langørgen, 2003. "Measuring the Benefits from Public Services The Effects of Local Government Spending on the Distribution of Income in Norway," Discussion Papers 339, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2006.
"Gini’s Nuclear Family,"
491, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Langorgen, Audun, 2003. " Fiscal and Spending Behavior of Local Governments: Identification of Price Effects When Prices Are Not Observed," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 117(1-2), pages 125-61, October.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- Magne Mogstad & Audun Langørgen & Rolf Aaberge, 2005.
"Region-Specific versus Country-specific Poverty Lines in Analysis of Poverty,"
408, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Magne Mogstad & Audun Langørgen & Rolf Aaberge, 2007. "Region-specific versus country-specific poverty lines in analysis of poverty," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 115-122, April.
- Rolf Aaberge, 1999. "Samling Errors and Cross-Country Comparisons of Income Inequality," Discussion Papers 252, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Chetty, Raj & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004.
"Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behaviour: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2005. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(3), pages 791-833, August.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," NBER Working Papers 10841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Evandrou & Jane Falkingham & John Hills & Julian Le Grand, 1993. "Welfare benefits in kind and income distribution," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 57-76, February.
- Gemmell, Norman, 1985. "The Incidence of Government Expenditure and Redistribution in the United Kingdom," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(27), pages 335-44, August.
- Irwin Garfinkel & Lee Rainwater & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2006. "A re-examination of welfare states and inequality in rich nations: How in-kind transfers and indirect taxes change the story," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 897-919.
- Dean Jolliffe, 2006. "Poverty, Prices, and Place: How Sensitive is the Spatial Distribution of Poverty to Cost of Living Adjustments?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 296-310, April.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-82, September.
- Lluch, Constantino, 1973. "The extended linear expenditure system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 21-32, April.
- Manos Antoninis & Panos Tsakloglou, 2001. "Who Benefits from Public Education in Greece? Evidence and Policy Implications," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 197-222.
- Hill, Robert J, 1997. "A Taxonomy of Multilateral Methods for Making International Comparisons of Prices and Quantities," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 49-69, March.
- Radner, Daniel B, 1997. "Noncash Income, Equivalence Scales, and the Measurement of Economic Well-Being," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 71-88, March.
- Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Characterizations of Lorenz curves and income distributions," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 639-653.
- Andrew Jones & Owen O'Donnell, .
"Equivalence Scales and the Costs of Disability,"
94/12, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Asghar Zaidi & Tania Burchardt, 2005. "Comparing Incomes When Needs Differ: Equivalization For The Extra Costs Of Disability In The U.K," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 89-114, 03.
- J. Peter Neary, 2004.
"Rationalizing the Penn World Table: True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of Real Income,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1411-1428, December.
- J. Peter Neary, 1996. "Rationalising the Penn World Table - True Multilateral Indices for International Comparisons of real Income," Working Papers 199622, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Erik Fjærli & Rolf Aaberge, 2000. "Tax Reforms, Dividend Policy and Trends in Income Inequality Empirical Evidence based on Norwegian Data," Discussion Papers 284, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Smeeding, Timothy M, et al, 1993. "Poverty, Inequality, and Family Living Standards Impacts across Seven Nations: The Effect of Noncash Subsidies for Health, Education and Housing," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(3), pages 229-56, September.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Richard K. Green, 1995. "What’s Happened to the Bottom of the Housing Market?," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 95-16, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Rolf Aaberge & Magne Mogstad, 2010.
"Robust Inequality Comparisons,"
623, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Figari, Francesco & Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos & Verbist, Gerlinde & Zantomio, Francesca, 2012.
"Taxing home ownership: distributional effects of including net imputed rent in taxable income,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM4/12, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Francesco Figari & Alari Paulus & Holly Sutherland & Panos Tsakloglou & Gerlinde Verbist & Francesca Zantomio, 2012. "Taxing home ownership: distributional effects of including net imputed rent in taxable income," DEOS Working Papers 1209, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Figari, Francesco & Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos & Verbist, Gerlinde & Zantomio, Francesca, 2012. "Taxing Home Ownership: Distributional Effects of Including Net Imputed Rent in Taxable Income," IZA Discussion Papers 6493, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Figari, Francesco & Paulus, Alari, 2013. "The distributional effects of taxes and transfers under alternative income concepts: the importance of three â€˜Iâ€™s," EUROMOD Working Papers EM15/13, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Grigorescu, Adriana, 2010.
"Serviciile publice între nevoia cetăţeanului şi posibilităţile administraţiei
[Public services between the citizen need and administration potential]," MPRA Paper 25132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Audun Langørgen, 2012. "A structural approach for analyzing fiscal equalization," Discussion Papers 715, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Michael Förster & Gerlinde Verbist, 2013.
"Money or kindergarten? Distributive effects of cash versus in-kind family transfers for young children,"
ImPRovE Working Papers
13/04, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- Michael F. Förster & Gerlinde Verbist, 2012. "Money or Kindergarten? Distributive Effects of Cash Versus In-Kind Family Transfers for Young Children," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 135, OECD Publishing.
- Christos Koutsampelas & Panos Tsakloglou, 2013.
"The distribution of full income in Greece,"
International Journal of Social Economics,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 40(11), pages 311-330, April.
- Panos Tsakloglou & Christos Koutsampelas, 2012.
"The distribution of full income in Greece,"
DEOS Working Papers
1207, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Christos Koutsampelas & Panos Tsakloglou, 2012. "The distribution of full income in Greece," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 03-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Koutsampelas, Christos & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2012. "The Distribution of Full Income in Greece," IZA Discussion Papers 6396, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hillringhaus, Tilman & Peichl, Andreas, 2010. "Die Messung von Armut unter Berücksichtigung regional divergierender Lebenshaltungskosten und öffentlicher Leistungen," IZA Discussion Papers 5344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Verbist, G. (Gerlinde) & Matsaganis, M. (Manos), 2012. "GINI DP 53: The Redistributive Capacity of Services in the EU," GINI Discussion Papers 53, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Jon H. Fiva & Olle Folke & Rune J. Sørensen, 2013. "The Power of Parties," CESifo Working Paper Series 4119, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bérénice Storms & Tim Goedemé & Karel Van den Bosch & Kristof Devuyst, 2013. "Towards a common framework for developing cross-nationally comparable reference budgets in Europe," ImPRovE Working Papers 13/02, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- Francesco Figari & Paulus, A. (Alari), 2012. "GINI DP 28: The impact of indirect taxes and imputed rent on inequality: A comparison with cash transfers and direct taxes in five EU countries," GINI Discussion Papers 28, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.