Policy Evaluation in Equilibrium The Case of Job Searcg Counseling in France
AbstractWe develop a partial equilibrium stochastic job matching model of the labor market to examine whetherthe counseling of unemployment workers displaces unemployed workers not offered the counseling. Inthis model, the improvement of the reservation utility of counseled job seekers induces them to refusejob offers that they would have accepted if they were not counseled. This behavior, which exerts anegative spillover on job creation, reduces the arrival rate of job offers to the unemployed workers whodo not benefit from counseling. The model is estimated on data concerning intensive counselingschemes that are provided to about 12.5 percent of the unemployed workers since the 2001 Frenchunemployment policy reform (PARE). We find significant favourable effects of counselling on the exitrate out of unemployment of counseled workers. We also find that counselling reduces the exit ratefrom unemployment of workers not offered the counseling. This effect is sufficiently large to imply thatcounseling reduces the average exit rate from unemployment of counseled and non counseled workerswhen a small share of unemployed workers are counseled. This result puts to the fore that evaluationsrelying only on comparisons of differences in outcomes between a treatment group and a control groupcan lead to misleading conclusions even when a small share of the population is treated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2008-13.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wolthoff, Ronald P., 2010.
"Applications and Interviews: A Structural Analysis of Two-Sided Simultaneous Search,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5416, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ronald P. Wolthoff, 2011. "Applications and Interviews. A Structural Analysis of Two-Sided Simultaneous Search," Working Papers 2011.86, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ronald Wolthoff, 2010. "Applications and Interviews: A Structural Analysis of Two-Sided Simultaneous Search," 2010 Meeting Papers 114, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ronald P. Wolthoff, 2011. "Applications and Interviews - A Structural Analysis of Two-Sided Simultaneous Search," CESifo Working Paper Series 3317, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ronald P. Wolthoff, 2010. "Applications and Interviews: A Structural Analysis of Two-Sided Simultaneous Search," Working Papers tecipa-418, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.