?La Grande Boucle?: Determinants of Success at the Tour de France
AbstractCycling has not been analyzed intensively in the economics of sports literature. This paper reports empirical evidence of individuals? performances in the 2004 ?Tour de France?. We investigate different performances such as total ranking, mountain ranking, time trial rankings as dependent variables and search for factors that shape riders? performances. The results show that riders who were successful in previous Tours perform better than other participants. Team leaders are more successful, and a lower body-mass index leads to a better performance. We also observe differences among the participating countries. Finally, the results suggest that riders? performances are influenced by their teammates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA) in its series CREMA Working Paper Series with number 2004-22.
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision: May 2005
sport; cycling tour; Tour de France; team effect;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tom Coupe & Olivier Gergaud, 2011. "Suspicious Blood and Performance in the 2010 Tour de France," Discussion Papers 43, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Benno Torgler & Sascha L. Schmidt & Bruno S. Frey, 2006.
"The Power of Positional Concerns: A Panel Analysis,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2006-19, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler & Sascha L. Schmidt & Bruno S. Frey, 2007. "The Power of Positional Concerns: A Panel Analysis," NCER Working Paper Series 11, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Torgler, Benno & Schmidt, Sascha L & Frey, Bruno S., 2006. "The Power of Positional Concerns: A Panel Analysis," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt1z14v7zt, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Benno Torgler & Sascha L. Schmidt & Bruno S. Frey, 2007. "The Power of Positional Concerns: A Panel Analysis," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 212, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna-Lea Werlen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.