Comparing the Socio-Economic Determinants of Men's and Women's International Soccer Performance
AbstractWe compare the determinants of women's and men's international soccer performance and find that partially different variables are important in the two contexts. While economic and demographic influences hold for both, the particular political and cultural factors differ. These differences highlight the greatly different economic, political and social significance of the sport depending whether it is played by men or women.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0508.
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Applied Economics Letters, December 2006, Vol. 33:15, pp. 999-1001.
Contact details of provider:
Fax: (508) 793-3708
Web page: http://www.holycross.edu/departments/economics/website/
More information through EDIRC
women's football; soccer; FIFA World Ranking; amateur sports; gender inequality;
Other versions of this item:
- Robert Hoffmann & Lee Chew Ging & Bala Ramasamy & Victor Matheson, 2003. "Comparing the Socio-Economic Determinants of Men's and Women's International Soccer Performance," CEABuR Working Papers 1, Centre for Europe-Asia Business Research.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-06-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2005-06-14 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SPO-2005-06-14 (Sports & Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mourão, Paulo Reis, 2008. "Local development and competitive soccer teams location. The Portuguese case," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 12, pages 135-143.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.