The political economy of exchange rate policy in Colombia
AbstractThis paper looks into the political economy forces that helped shape exchange rate policy in Colombia since the early 1960s. As witnessed by the remarkable longevity of the managed crawl, Colombian exchange rate policies since 1967 did not take the form of major regime changes. Policy shifts came about through variations in the rate of crawl, varying degrees of administrative restrictions on capital flows and, on occasions, ad-hoc measures to generate multiple exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDESARROLLO in its series WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 009194.
Date of creation: 28 Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan C. Jaramillo & Roberto Steiner & Natalia Salazar, 1999. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Colombia," Research Department Publications 3064, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Rogoff & Anne Sibert, 1988.
"Elections and Macroeconomic Policy Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
1838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, .
"The rise and Perpetuation of a Moderate Inflation, Colombia 1970-1991,"
Borradores de Economia
050, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry G., 1996. "The Rise And Perpetuation Of A Moderate Inflation, Colombia 1970-1991," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003621, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Steiner, Roberto, 1998. "Colombia's income from the drug trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1013-1031, June.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden, 2000. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Latin America: An Analytical Overview," Research Department Publications 3118, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, .
"Autonomía de la Banca Central e Inflación: La Experiencia Colombiana, 1923-1995,"
Borradores de Economia
049, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Adolfo Meisel R., 1996. "Autonomia De La Banca Central E Inflacion La Experiencia Colombiana, 1923-1995," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002035, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ernesto Stein and Jorge Streb., 1994.
"Political Stabilization Cycles in High Inflation Economies,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C94-039, University of California at Berkeley.
- Stein, Ernesto H. & Streb, Jorge M., 1998. "Political stabilization cycles in high-inflation economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jorge M. Streb, 1997. "Political Stabilization Cycles in High Inflation Economies," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 123, Universidad del CEMA.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Roberto Steiner, 1997. "El Flujo de los Capitales Privados en Colombia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 34(103), pages 309-337.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981, January.
- Diego Aboal & Fernando Lorenzo & Andrés Rius, 2000. "Is the exchange rate politically manipulated around elections? The evidence from Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1800, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Alberto Alesina & Alberto Carrasquilla & RobertoSteiner, 2000. "The Central Bank in Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 003568, FEDESARROLLO.
- Juan Jose Echavarria & Carolina Renteria & Roberto Steiner, 2002.
"Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia,"
Research Department Publications
3138, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kandilov, Ivan T. & Leblebicioglu, AslI, 2011. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on plant-level investment: Evidence from Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 220-230, March.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, .
"The Colombian Economy in the nineties: Capital Flows and Foreign Exchange Regimes,"
Borradores de Economia
149, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, 2000. "The Colombian Economy In The Nineties: Capital Flows And Foreign Exchange Regimes," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003575, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden & Piero Ghezzi, 2000. "Politics and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Approach to Latin America," Research Department Publications 3119, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.