Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia
AbstractWe assess whether international remittances affect Colombian household´s expenditure composition and demand of education. We exploit the migratory wave that took place on late 90s due to one of the deepest crises in Colombian history, along with institutional barriers to migration, to identify the effect of remittances on expenditure composition. The empirical exercises find a positive effect over education, beneficiary households expending about 10% of total expenditure more in education than non beneficiaries. In addition although no effect was found on enrollment rates, we found an important effect on the probability of attending a private, rather that a public, educational institution. Such effect is on average 24% for individuals 5-30 years old, 50% for those attending secondary education, and 40% for those attending higher education. On the other hand, effects over consumption, investment and health expenditure, are nil. Finally, we find important effects of remittances on living standards of beneficiary households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 003219.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
International Remittances; International Migration; Safety Net; Consumption;
Other versions of this item:
- Lina cardona Sosa & Carlos Medina, . "Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia," Borradores de Economia 414, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Mroz, .
"The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center, Chicago - Population Research Center
84-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Mroz, Thomas A, 1987. "The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 765-99, July.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars, 1990.
"Immigration and the Family,"
NBER Working Papers
3509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1991. "Immigration and the Family," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(2), pages 123-48, April.
- Ximena Cadena Ordóñez & Mauricio Cárdenas Santa María, 2004. "Las Remesas en Colombia: costos de transacción y lavado de dinero," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO, FEDESARROLLO 003127, FEDESARROLLO.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Alejandro Gaviria, 2004. "Visa Usa: Fortunas Y Extravíos De Los Emigrantes Colombianos En Los Estados Unidos," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 003766, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Lucas, Robert E B & Stark, Oded, 1985. "Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 901-18, October.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Carlos Medina & Lina Cardona, 2010.
"The Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption, Education Attendance and Living Standards: the Case of Colombia,"
Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 11-44.
- Medina, Carlos & Cardona, Lina, 2010. "The Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption, Education Attendance and Living Standards: the Case of Colombia," REVISTA LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Carlos Medina & Christian Manuel Posso, .
"Colombian and South American Immigrants in the United States of America: Education Levels, Job Qualifications and the Decision to Go Back Home,"
Borradores de Economia
572, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Medina & Cristhian Manuel Posso, 2009. "Colombian and South American Immigrants in the United States of America: Education Levels, Job Qualifications and the Decision to Go Back Home," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005758, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Matthieu CLEMENT (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2011.
"Remittances and household expenditure patterns in Tajikistan: A propensity score matching analysis,"
Cahiers du GREThA, Groupe de Recherche en Economie ThÃ©orique et AppliquÃ©e
2011-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Clemént, Matthieu, 2011. "Remittances and Household Expenditure Patterns in Tajikistan: A Propensity Score Matching Analysis," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, Asian Development Bank, vol. 28(2), pages 58-87.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paola Montenegro & Nataly Obando, .
"El desempleo en Pereira: ¿sólo cuestión de remesas?,"
Borradores de Economia
636, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paola Montenegro & Nataly Obando, 2011. "El desempleo en Pereira: ¿sólo cuestión de remesas?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007871, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Aubrey D. Tabuga, 2007. "International Remittances and Household Expenditures : The Philippine Case," Development Economics Working Papers 22698, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sandra Liliana Botón Gómez & Patricia González Román, 2010. "Una revisión a los estudios sobre Migración Internacional en Colombia," REVISTA FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS ECONÓMICAS, UNIVERSIDAD MILITAR NUEVA GRANADA, UNIVERSIDAD MILITAR NUEVA GRANADA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.