Remittances and household expenditure patterns in Tajikistan: A propensity score matching analysis
AbstractThe object of this article is to assess the impact of remittances on household expenditure patterns in Tajikistan. More specifically, the paper applies propensity score matching methods to the 2003 Tajikistan Living Standards Measurement Survey. The results do not provide evidence of a productive use of remittances since neither internal nor external remittances have a positive effect on investment expenditures. Migration and remittances are therefore interpreted in terms of short-term coping strategies that help dependent households to achieve a basic level of consumption
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée in its series Cahiers du GREThA with number 2011-09.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
remittances; expenditure patterns; propensity score matching; sensitivity analysis; Tajikistan.;
Other versions of this item:
- Clemént, Matthieu, 2011. "Remittances and Household Expenditure Patterns in Tajikistan: A Propensity Score Matching Analysis," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 28(2), pages 58-87.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-03-19 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2011-03-19 (Development)
- NEP-MIG-2011-03-19 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Tania Sainz & Susan Pozo, 2007.
"Remittances and healthcare expenditure patterns of populations in origin communities : evidence from Mexico,"
INTAL Working Papers
1450, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Tania Sainz & Susan Pozo, 2007. "Remittances and Healthcare Expenditure Patterns of Populations in Origin Communities: Evidence from Mexico," IDB Publications 9355, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & Pozo, Susan, 2009.
"New Evidence on the Role of Remittances on Health Care Expenditures by Mexican Households,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4617, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2011. "New evidence on the role of remittances on healthcare expenditures by Mexican households," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 69-98, March.
- Lina cardona Sosa & Carlos Medina, .
"Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
414, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Lina Cardona Sosa & Carlos Medina, 2006. "Migration as a Safety Net and Effects of Remittances on Household Consumption: The Case of Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003219, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Valero-Gil, Jorge, 2008. "Remittances and the household’s expenditures on health," MPRA Paper 9572, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2013.
"Transferts de fonds, éducation et travail des enfants au Maroc: Une analyse par score de propension
[Remittances, Education and Child labor in Morocco: A propensity score matching approach]," MPRA Paper 46063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamal BOUOIYOUR & Amal MIFTAH, 2013. "Transferts de fonds, éducation et travail des enfants au Maroc. Une analyse par score de propension," Working Papers 2012-2013_5, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Apr 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.