Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows To India -- Determinants And Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of portfolio flows to India for the period October 1995 to October 2011. The determinants of disaggregated component of portfolio flows (FPI) i.e. foreign institutional investment flows (FIIs) and investment flows received through American/Global depository receipts (ADR/GDRs) are also examined. The determinants are based partially on the portfolio balance model in which capital flows in an emerging economy are determined through an arbitrage condition. These include domestic stock market performance, exchange rate, reserves to import ratio, interest rate differential, volatility in exchange rate, domestic output growth, foreign output growth and emerging market equity performance. The results indicate that domestic stock market performance, exchange rate and domestic output growth are the most important determinants of both FII and ADR/GDR flows. Emerging market equity performance, interest rate differential and volatility in exchange rate influence FII flows but not the investment flows received through ADR/GDRs. Moreover ADR/GDR flows are influenced by foreign output growth, but this is not so for the FII flows. Since FIIs have been the most dominant component of aggregate portfolio flows, therefore as expected, the results for aggregate portfolio flows are similar to FII flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 225.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Garg, Reetika & Dua, Pami, 2014. "Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows to India: Determinants and Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 16-28.
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- P., Srinivasan & M., Kalaivani, 2013.
"Determinants of Foreign Institutional Investment in India: An Empirical Analysis,"
43778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Srinivasan P. & Kalaivani M., 2013. "Determinants Of Foreign Institutional Investment In India: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Academic Research in Economics, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Accounting and Financial Management Constanta, vol. 5(3 (Decemb), pages 361-375.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Pami Dua & Arunima Sinha, 2007. "Insulation Of India From The East Asian Crisis: An Analysis," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 52(03), pages 419-443.
- Elaine Karen Buckberg, 1996. "Institutional Investors and Asset Pricing in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 96/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Poonam Gupta & James P. F. Gordon, 2003. "Portfolio Flows Into India," IMF Working Papers 03/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.