Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows To India -- Determinants And Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of portfolio flows to India for the period October 1995 to October 2011. The determinants of disaggregated component of portfolio flows (FPI) i.e. foreign institutional investment flows (FIIs) and investment flows received through American/Global depository receipts (ADR/GDRs) are also examined. The determinants are based partially on the portfolio balance model in which capital flows in an emerging economy are determined through an arbitrage condition. These include domestic stock market performance, exchange rate, reserves to import ratio, interest rate differential, volatility in exchange rate, domestic output growth, foreign output growth and emerging market equity performance. The results indicate that domestic stock market performance, exchange rate and domestic output growth are the most important determinants of both FII and ADR/GDR flows. Emerging market equity performance, interest rate differential and volatility in exchange rate influence FII flows but not the investment flows received through ADR/GDRs. Moreover ADR/GDR flows are influenced by foreign output growth, but this is not so for the FII flows. Since FIIs have been the most dominant component of aggregate portfolio flows, therefore as expected, the results for aggregate portfolio flows are similar to FII flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 225.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Garg, Reetika & Dua, Pami, 2014. "Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows to India: Determinants and Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 16-28.
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001.
"The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999. "The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CSEF Working Papers 28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Elaine Karen Buckberg, 1996. "Institutional Investors and Asset Pricing in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 96/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Srinivasan P. & Kalaivani M., 2013.
"Determinants Of Foreign Institutional Investment In India: An Empirical Analysis,"
Journal of Academic Research in Economics,
Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Accounting and Financial Management Constanta, vol. 5(3 (Decemb), pages 361-375.
- P., Srinivasan & M., Kalaivani, 2013. "Determinants of Foreign Institutional Investment in India: An Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 43778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pami Dua & Arunima Sinha, 2007. "Insulation Of India From The East Asian Crisis: An Analysis," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 52(03), pages 419-443.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Poonam Gupta & James P. F. Gordon, 2003. "Portfolio Flows into India: Do Domestic Fundamentals Matter?," IMF Working Papers 03/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vinayan. K.P).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.