The determinants of home bias puzzle in equity portfolio investment in Australia
AbstractDespite the well documented gains from international diversification, investors continue to show a strong preference for investing in domestic assets, a phenomenon referred to in the literature as ‘home bias’. This bias comes at a price — a higher cost of capital for businesses. We estimate the share of foreign equity in a typical Australian equity portfolio to be approximately 17% while the standard portfolio theory suggests that the proportion ought to be in the order of 98%. Applying these proportions to the typical Australian portfolio would cause Australian borrowing costs to fall by approximately two percentage points. This paper provides a detailed analysis of the drivers of home bias from the perspective of an Australian investor. The results indicate that the typical Australian investor undervalues the benefits of international diversification by investing a proportionally larger share of their equity in domestic stocks relative to overseas markets. Evidence from our research indicates that trade, governance, market size, cross-border capital controls and transaction costs play a positive and statistically significant role in influencing Australian investor's home bias.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Financial Analysis.
Volume (Year): 27 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620166
Home bias; Portfolio equity investment; Transaction costs; Volatility; Liquidity;
Other versions of this item:
- Vo, Xuan Vinh, 2008. "The determinants of home bias puzzle in equity portfolio investment in Australia," MPRA Paper 26982, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Jul 2009.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baele, Lieven & Pungulescu, Crina & Ter Horst, Jenke, 2007. "Model uncertainty, financial market integration and the home bias puzzle," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 606-630, June.
- Joshua D. Coval & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 1999. "Home Bias at Home: Local Equity Preference in Domestic Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2045-2073, December.
- Fidora, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2006.
"Home bias in global bond and equity markets: the role of real exchange rate volatility,"
Working Paper Series
0685, European Central Bank.
- Fidora, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "Home bias in global bond and equity markets: The role of real exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 631-655, June.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Stockman, Alan C. & Dellas, Harris, 1989. "International portfolio nondiversification and exchange rate variability," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 271-289, May.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.