Capital Flow Controls, International Asset Pricing, and Investors' Welfare: A Multi-country Framework
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of capital flow restrictions on the pricing of securities, on the optimal portfolio compositions of investors of different nationalities, and on their welfare. Under capital flow controls, the equilibrium price of a security is determined jointly by its international and national risk premiums, and investors acquire nationality-specific portfolios along with a market-wide proxy for the world market portfolio. Removal of investment barriers generally leads to an increase in the aggregate market value of the affected securities, and all investors favor a move toward market integration. Introduction of different types of index funds in the world market generally increases world market integration and investor welfare. Copyright 1989 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 44 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dominique Pépin, 2004.
"Globalisation des marchés de capitaux et valorisation des actifs financiers,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(2), pages 207-226.
- Dominique Pepin, 2000. "Globalisation des marchés de capitaux et valorisation des actifs financiers," Working Papers hal-00966464, HAL.
- Mishra, Anil V & Ratti, Ronald A, 2013.
"Taxation of Domestic Dividend Income and Foreign Investment Holdings,"
50601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mishra, Anil V. & Ratti, Ronald A., 2014. "Taxation of domestic dividend income and foreign investment holdings," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 218-231.
- Karen K. Lewis, 2011. "Global asset pricing," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 88, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2013.
"Market Structure and the Cost of Capital,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4097, CESifo Group Munich.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1998. "International Home Bias in International Finance and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 6351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rieger, Jörg, 2014. "Financial Integration with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Working Papers 0568, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Bellalah, Makram & Bellalah, Mondher, 2001. "International Portfolio Choice and the Effect of Information Costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/9786, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault & Anamaria Sova & Robert Sova & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Market Structure and the Cost of," Working Papers 2014-351, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.