Exploration for Nonrenewable Resources in a Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result
AbstractI investigate two versions of a differential Cournot oligopoly game with nonrenewable resource exploitation, in which each firm may either exploit its own private pool or exploit a common pool jointly with the rivals. Firms use a deterministic technology to invest in exploration activities. In both models, there emerges that (i) the individual exploration effort is higher when each firms has exclusive rights on a pool of its own, and (ii) depending on the assumptions on technology and demand, the aggregate exploration effort is either constant or increasing in the number of firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna in its series Working Papers with number wp859.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Luca Lambertini, 2013. "Exploration for Nonrenewable Resources in a Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result," Working Paper Series 25_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-01-12 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2013-01-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENV-2013-01-12 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quyen, N V, 1991. "Exhaustible Resources: A Theory of Exploration," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 777-89, July.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2004.
"Time consistent fiscal policies in a Ramsey economy,"
522, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2007. "Time consistent fiscal policies in a Ramsey economy," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 296-313, May.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- Arrow, Kenneth J. & Chang, Sheldon, 1982. "Optimal pricing, use, and exploration of uncertain natural resource stocks," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1986. "A Theory of 'Oil'igopoly: Cournot Equilibrium in Exhaustible Resource Markets with Fixed Supplies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(2), pages 285-301, June.
- Hoel, Michael, 1983. "Monopoly resource extractions under the presence of predetermined substitute production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 201-212, June.
- Fershtman, C. & Nitzan, S., 1988.
"Dynamic Voluntary Provision Of Public Goods,"
21-88, Tel Aviv.
- Karp, Larry & Lee, In Ho, 2003.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 353-364, October.
- Karp, Larry & Lee, In Ho, 2000. "Time-Consistent Policies," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt94q3m5mq, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry S. & Lee, In Ho, 2000. "Time-consistent policies," CUDARE Working Paper Series 919, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Mohr, Ernst U, 1988. "Appropriation of Common Access Natural Resources through Exploration: The Relevance of the Open-Loop Concept," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 307-19, May.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2002. "A differential game approach to investment in product differentiation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 51-62, November.
- Boyce, John R. & Vojtassak, Lucia, 2008. "An 'oil'igopoly theory of exploration," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 428-454, August.
- Davison, R, 1978. "Optimal Depletion of an Exhaustible Resource with Research and Development towards an Alternative Technology," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 355-67, June.
- Nancy Gallini & Tracy Lewis & Roger Ware, 1983. "Strategic Timing and Pricing of a Substitute in a Cartelized Resource Market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 429-46, August.
- Olsen, Trond E, 1988. "Strategic Considerations in Invention and Innovation; The Case of Natural Resources Revisited," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 841-49, July.
- Cairns, Robert D. & Van Quyen, Nguyen, 1998. "Optimal Exploration for and Exploitation of Heterogeneous Mineral Deposits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 164-189, March.
- Stephen Polasky, 1996. "Exploration and Extraction in a Duopoly-Exhaustible Resource Market," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 473-92, May.
- Colombo, Luca & Labrecciosa, Paola, 2013. "Oligopoly exploitation of a private property productive asset," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 838-853.
- Quyen, N V, 1988. "The Optimal Depletion and Exploration of a Nonrenewable Resource," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1467-71, November.
- Hoel, Michael, 1978. "Resource extraction, substitute production, and monopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 28-37, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.