Innovation and Natural Resources: A Dynamic Game with Uncertainty
AbstractWe analyze a dynamic game between a resource-exporting country and an importing country that is seeking to invent a substitute technology. The time of innovation is an uncertain function of the importer's R&D efforts, which cannot be committed in advance. The game has a unique equilibrium in Markov strategies. The importer's R&D efforts grow over time. The exporter's output often decreases with time before innovation occurs, but strategic factors imply that the opposite can happen. The output path is characterized by a simple modification of Hotelling's rule to account for uncertainty and strategic behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Leach, Andrew & Moreaux, Michel, 2010.
"Would Hotelling Kill the Electric Car?,"
TSE Working Papers
09-149, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Leach, Andrew & Moreaux, Michel, 2010. "Would Hotelling Kill the Electric Car?," Working Papers 2010-12, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Andrew Leach & Michel MOREAUX, 2010. "Would Hotelling Kill the Electric Car?," LERNA Working Papers 10.08.314, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Leach, Andrew & Moreaux, Michel, 2010. "Would Hotelling Kill the Electric Car?," IDEI Working Papers 602, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Luca Lambertini, 2014.
"Exploration For Nonrenewable Resources In A Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result,"
International Game Theory Review (IGTR),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(02), pages 1440011-1-1.
- L. Lambertini, 2013. "Exploration for Nonrenewable Resources in a Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result," Working Papers wp859, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Lambertini, 2013. "Exploration for Nonrenewable Resources in a Dynamic Oligopoly: An Arrovian Result," Working Paper Series 25_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Michielsen, Thomas O., 2014. "Strategic resource extraction and substitute development," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 455-468.
- Zhang, Xiao-Bing, 2014. "Strategic Carbon Taxation and Energy Pricing: The Role of Innovation," Working Papers in Economics 589, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Gerlagh, Reyer & Liski, Matti, 2011.
"Strategic resource dependence,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 699-727, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.