Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly
AbstractWe present a theoretical dynamic model in tourism economics, assuming that the market for tourism is an oligopoly with differentiated products. Destinations can invest in order to improve their stock of physical, natural or cultural resources. Tourism flows yield current revenues, but they are usually detrimental for the stock of resources. We find the solution of the dynamic model, and in particular we find the open-loop Nash equilibrium of the game among destinations, under alternative settings, depending on whether the degree of differentiation among destinations is exogenous or endogenous. In particular, under the latter case, an increase of the number of destinations leads to a higher degree of product differentiation in steady state. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
differential games; reservation price; tourism; D43; D92; L83;
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fershtman, C. & Nitzan, S., 1988.
"Dynamic Voluntary Provision Of Public Goods,"
21-88, Tel Aviv.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-Francois Tissse, 1999.
"Agglomeration and Trade Revisited,"
CIRJE-F-65, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-FranÁois Thisse, 2002. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 409-436, May.
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & TABUCHI , Takatoshi & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Agglomeration and trade revisited," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1553, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1999. "Agglomeration and trade revisited," CORE Discussion Papers 1999041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1998. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 1903, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2001. "Differential Oligopoly Games where the Closed-Loop Memoryless and Open-Loop Equilibria Coincide," Working Papers 402, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Throsby,David, 2000.
"Economics and Culture,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521584067.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2002. "Private and Social Incentives Towards Investment in Product Differentiation," Working Papers 431, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Forster, Bruce A., 1980. "Optimal energy use in a polluted environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 321-333, December.
- Reynolds, Stanley S, 1987. "Capacity Investment, Preemption and Commitment in an Infinite Horizon Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 69-88, February.
- Claudio A. Piga, 2006.
"Pigouvian Taxation in Tourism,"
Discussion Paper Series
2006_2, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jan 2006.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Differentiation and Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 407-14, May.
- Reynolds, Stanley S., 1991. "Dynamic oligopoly with capacity adjustment costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 491-514, July.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2002. "A differential game approach to investment in product differentiation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 51-62, November.
- M. Thea Sinclair, 1998. "Tourism and economic development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 1-51.
- Vargas-Sánchez, Alfonso & Riquel-Ligero, Francisco, 2014. "Environmental Pressures on Tourism Companies: Simulation of Scenarios in Golf Course Operators," Journal of Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, vol. 2(1), pages 51-71.
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini, 2009.
"Destination Unknown. Is There any Economics Beyond Tourism Areas?,"
Working Paper Series
36_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini, 2010. "Destination Unknown. Is there any Economics Beyond Tourism Areas?," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(3), pages 256-271, September.
- F. Cerina, 2012. "Endogenous Growth and Sustainable Tourism," Working Paper CRENoS 201234, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Mahbuba Alieva, 2010. "Uzbek Travel Services Industry And International Comparison," Perspectives of Innovation in Economics and Business (PIEB), Prague Development Center, vol. 6(3), pages 66-70, October.
- Cellini, Roberto & Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009.
"The regional public spending for tourism in Italy: An empirical analysis,"
16131, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cellini, Roberto & Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009. "The regional public spending for tourism in Italy: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 16917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cellini, Roberto & Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2010. "The regional public spending for tourism in Italy: an empirical analysis," DEMQ Working Paper Series 2010/10, University of Catania, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz, 2009. "Coping with Externalities in Tourism - A Dynamic Optimal Taxation Approach," MPRA Paper 16736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Correani, Luca & Garofalo, Giuseppe, 2008. "Chaos in the tourism industry," MPRA Paper 9677, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Giannoni & F. Cerina, 2008. "Pollution Adverse Tourists and Growth," Working Paper CRENoS 200822, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Fabio Cerina, 2006. "Tourism Specialization and Sustainability: A Long-Run Policy Analysis," Working Papers 2006.11, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Blanco, Ester & Lozano, Javier & Rey-Maquieira, Javier, 2009. "A dynamic approach to voluntary environmental contributions in tourism," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 104-114, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.