Destination Unknown. Is There any Economics Beyond Tourism Areas?
AbstractIn recent years, several papers have been focussing on various aspects of the tourism destination. The destination is a central issue within tourism studies, embodying in one single concept all the specific and problematic features of tourism, such as its systemic nature, in which “space” plays a fundamental role. In this paper we argue that is in the analysis of destinations that tourism economics shapes itself as an independent discipline within applied economics. Firstly, destinations are neither microeconomic agents nor macroeconomic aggregates, but territorial systems supplying at least one tourism product (a bundle of goods and services) able to satisfy the complex needs of the tourism demand. Secondly, the economic analysis of destinations identifies two specific theorems, the love of variety theorem and the coordination theorem which allow to interpret the tourism destination as a particular type of district, sharing at the same time some of the features of the industrial and of the cultural district.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 36_09.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision: Jan 2009
tourism economics; tourism areas; destination management;
Other versions of this item:
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini, 2010. "Destination Unknown. Is there any Economics Beyond Tourism Areas?," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(3), pages 256-271, September.
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Cerina, 2006. "Tourism specialization and environmental sustainability in a dynamic economy," Working Paper CRENoS 200602, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- G. Candela & R. Cellini & A. E. Scorcu, 1999. "Comportamenti d’impresa e informazione del consumatore," Working Papers 347, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2005. "The Economics of Local Tourist Systems," Working Papers 2005.138, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Nearchou, Paris & Pashardes, Panos, 2008. "Intermediaries as quality assessors: Tour operators in the travel industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 372-392, January.
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006.
"Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Tiziana Cuccia & Walter Santagata, 2003. "Adhesion-Exit: incentivi e diritti di proprietà collettivi nei distretti culturali," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2003(80).
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2009. "Destination Management and Tourists’ Choice with a Two-Part Tariff Price of the Holiday," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 99(2), pages 107-125, April-Jun.
- Aleix Calveras & Marcos Vera-Hernandez, 2003. "Quality Externalities among Hotel Establishments: What is the Impact of Tour Operators," Industrial Organization 0303001, EconWPA.
- Romain Cruse & Bruno Marques, 2013. "Bénéfices et bénéficiaires de l’activité de croisière en Dominique," Documents de Travail 2013-16, CEREGMIA, Université des Antilles et de la Guyane.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.