Off-Season Tourists and the Cultural Offer of a Mass-Tourism Destination: The Case of Rimini
AbstractThis paper assesses the potential implications on off-season tourism of enhancing the cultural offer of Rimini, a popular Italian seaside holiday destination. Rimini, a city of about 130,000 people hosts a total of around 12 million overnight stays, 10 million of which are concentrated in the summer months. In the last twenty years or so, Rimini has been undergoing a policy of deseasoning, which mainly pivots around business tourism (a new fair quarter and important conference venues have been built) and cultural tourism (the city has been investing on both its cultural heritage and art exhibitions). This assessment is carried out through discrete choice experiments submitted to a sample of about 800 off-season tourists, that is, tourists who visited Rimini outside the summer months. Since tourism can be viewed as a composite good, which overall utility depends on the arrangement of the component characteristics, the choice experiments allow to disentangle the importance and the willingness to pay of tourists for different levels of the holiday's characteristics. The choice model incorporates as attributes a number of possible changes to actual tourism features (which are also the subject of public debate), including them in hypothetical alternative "holiday packages". The conditional logit analysis of the choice experiments can highlight the potential synergies and trade-offs between cultural and business tourism. Moreover, the methodology and the structure of the questionnaire allow a partial comparison of our findings with results stemming from two previous studies carried out in Rimini, respectively on summer tourists and on residents. Such comparison highlights synergies and trade-offs between off-season tourists, summer tourists, and residents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 24_10.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
tourism demand; cultural tourism; business tourism; conditional logit; urban planning; choice experiments;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2010-10-30 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2010-10-30 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-TUR-2010-10-30 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Candela & R. Cellini & A. E. Scorcu, 1999. "Comportamenti d’impresa e informazione del consumatore," Working Papers 347, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- R. Brau & AE. Scorcu & L. Vici, 2007.
"Assessing visitor satisfaction with tourism rejuvenation policies: the case of Rimini, Italy,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200709, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Rinaldo Brau & Antonello Scorcu & Laura Vici, 2009. "Assessing visitor satisfaction with tourism rejuvenation policies: the case of Rimini, Italy," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(1), pages 25-42.
- R. Brau & A. E. Scorcu & L. Vici, 2007. "Assessing visitor satisfaction with tourism rejuvenation policies: the case of Rimini, Italy," Working Papers 617, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Rinaldo Brau & Antonello E. Scorcu & Laura Vici, 2007. "Assessing visitor satisfaction with tourism rejuvenation policies: the case of Rimini, Italy," Working Paper Series 51-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Rinaldo Brau & Davide Cao, 2006.
"Uncovering the Macrostructure of Tourists’ Preferences. A Choice Experiment Analysis of Tourism Demand to Sardinia,"
2006.33, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- R. Brau & D. Cao, 2005. "Uncovering the macrostructure of tourists’ preferences. A choice experiment analysis of tourism demand to Sardinia," Working Paper CRENoS 200514, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Elena Bellini & Barbara Del Corpo & Ugo Gasparino & William Malizia, 2008. "Effects of Tourism Upon the Economy of Small and Medium-Sized European Cities. Cultural Tourists and “The Others”," Working Papers 2008.44, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Anna Alberini & Valentina Zanatta & Paolo Rosato, 2005.
"Combining Actual and Contingent Behavior to Estimate the Value of Sports Fishing in the Lagoon of Venice,"
2005.44, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alberini, Anna & Zanatta, Valentina & Rosato, Paolo, 2007. "Combining actual and contingent behavior to estimate the value of sports fishing in the Lagoon of Venice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 530-541, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.