Choosing Brands: Fresh Produce versus other Products
AbstractThis study presents a framework to analyze how uncertainty about product attributes affects consumers' WTP for brand name products over generic ones, incorporating key elements of a random utility model and product attribute models. We found that in comparison to electronics, clothing, and processed food, consumers buy brand name vegetables and fruits mainly because of quality uncertainty, and they can easily reduce uncertainty of product quality of fresh vegetables and fruits by seeing, touching, smelling, and tasting. Hence, consumers are less willing to pay for brands of fresh vegetables and fruits. However, simulation results show that brands of fresh fruits and vegetables may have a similar price premium as other products, but they lack the market share. Thus, the main challenge in building brands of fresh produce is to establish a critical mass. We also find that demographic information such as education and gender does affect consumers' WTP for brands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19192.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Yanhong H. Jin & David Zilberman & Amir Heiman, 2008. "Choosing Brands: Fresh Produce versus Other Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 463-475.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeongwen Chiang, 1991. "A Simultaneous Approach to the Whether, What and How Much to Buy Questions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 297-315.
- Heiman, Amir & McWilliams, Bruce & Zilberman, David, 2001. "Demonstrations and money-back guarantees: market mechanisms to reduce uncertainty," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 71-84, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Greg M. Allenby & Peter E. Rossi, 1991. "Quality Perceptions and Asymmetric Switching Between Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 185-204.
- Gary D. Thompson & Julia Kidwell, 1998. "Explaining the Choice of Organic Produce: Cosmetic Defects, Prices, and Consumer Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 277-287.
- Mario F. Teisl & Nancy E. Bockstael & Alan Levy, 2001. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Nutrition Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 133-149.
- Mathios, Alan D, 2000. "The Impact of Mandatory Disclosure Laws on Product Choices: An Analysis of the Salad Dressing Market," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 651-77, October.
- Devkota, Nirmala & Paudel, Krishna P. & Parajuli, Shanta, 2009. "Broiler Producers’ Willingness To Pay To Manage Nutrient Pollution," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46825, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Rickard, Bradley J. & Schmit, Todd M. & Gomez, Miguel I. & Lu, Hao, 2011. "Does the Name Matter? Developing Brands for Patented Fruit Varieties," Working Papers 126603, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Morales, Luis Emilio & Fleming, Euan M. & Wright, Vic & Griffith, Garry R. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2008. "Product And Branding Innovations In The Australian Beef Marketing System," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 5993, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- He, Na & Bernard, John C., 2011. "Differences in WTP and Consumer Demand for Organic and Non-GM Fresh and Processed Foods," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2011. "Brand Premiums in the U.S. Beef Industry," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(2), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.