Feasibility of a cash forward contract: An application to the French and Spanish potato sectors
AbstractThis study examines a cash forward contract (CFC) that a growers' cooperative or association may offer producers to lock in a fixed price for their output. To cover the forward contract's risks, the cooperative would set up a stabilization fund, and as an option, may hedge with futures contracts. The authors evaluate both strategies' costs, which would be charged to the growers signing in the CFC in the form of a fee. By comparing this fee with farmers' willingness to pay, it is determined whether growers' would be interested in the forward contract. The scheme is tested on a selection of Spanish and French potato varieties, with reference to the “April” futures contracts traded on the Amsterdam exchange. The authors conclude that hedging with futures may help to reduce the cooperative's exposure to financial risk, but, on average, the stabilization fund alone is more effective without hedging. Risk-averse growers may be interested in CFCs to reduce their revenue instability. [JEL Classifications: Q13, Q14, G13] Â© 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 245-261, 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elam, Emmett W., 1992. "Cash Forward Contracting Versus Hedging Of Fed Cattle, And The Impact Of Cash Contracting On Cash Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Barry T. Coyle, 1999. "Risk Aversion and Yield Uncertainty in Duality Models of Production: A Mean-Variance Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 553-567.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Lapan, Harvey, 1995. "The Hedging Role of Options and Futures under Joint Price, Basis, and Production Risk," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1025-49, November.
- W. Erno Kuiper & Joost M. E. Pennings, 2002. "Identification by full adjustment: evidence from the relationship between futures and spot prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 67-84, March.
- Hueth, Brent & Hennessy, David A., 2002. "Contracts and Risk in Agriculture: Conceptual and Empirical Foundations," Staff General Research Papers 5324, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Abebe, Gumataw K. & Bijman, Jos & Kemp, Ron & Omta, Onno & Tsegaye, Admasu, 2013. "Contract farming configuration: Smallholders’ preferences for contract design attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 14-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.